Newbie.. WOW !!!! Absolutly beautiful

tylereot said:
Arlosguitar said:
White MOP night swan would look sweet on that neck too.
Not sure what that is, but I'll bet it would look good!
This is the Nightswan inlay:
VMS5805A.jpg

Neck has been ordered. Birdseye Maple on Birdseye Maple. Warmoth Pro 10-16 compound. Satin finish with mother of pearl dots. I think it's going to work out very well with this body. The MOP dots should be just enough to bring out the binding of the body yet keep it clean and simple.

Lovely body (no, not YOU!). Am I alone in finding that MOP and/or Abalone dots on maple fretboards are really hard to see in stage light conditions? As in, they pretty much can disappear.
Very pretty to look at, and then--Hey, where'd they go? That's been my experience, anyway....

Having done two without face dots, I would never do another one unless it's fretless too. Seriously - I understand the aesthetics of it, but damn when you're getting busy I'd like all the help I can get in that regard. Just to get three-and-a-half more brain cells freed up for tone & timing & all that. I'd take bats on a jazz guitar or pentagrams on a churchy praise guitar before I'd get naked again. Pain in the ass.

(One thing that I KNOW applies is that I've got guitars with 24", 24.625", 24.75", 25", 25.5", and 26.5" scales. And basses of 30.5" 34" and 35". eeeek! Mommy....

"Muscle Memory" is worse than NO memory at all -
when it's LYING TO YOU....

:icon_scratch:  ??? :-\  :sad1:  :tard:  :toothy11:  :toothy10:  :hello2:  :blob7:​

Great Ape said:
Am I alone in finding that MOP and/or Abalone dots on maple fretboards are really hard to see in stage light conditions?
As in, they pretty much can disappear.
Hey, where'd they go? That's been my experience, anyway....

It's the Drugs  :laughing7:

Having the usual bass player build, being the roundest and usually oldest guy in the band, my instrument is a few inches further out.  When looking at the fretboard while playing, I've only used side dots and never the face dots.  I've got 2 with no face dots, 2 with block inlays, and one with abalone face dots.  No visible advantage is to be had by me for inlay format.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Having the usual bass player build, being the roundest and usually oldest guy in the band, my instrument is a few inches further out.  When looking at the fretboard while playing, I've only used side dots and never the face dots.  I've got 2 with no face dots, 2 with block inlays, and one with abalone face dots.  No visible advantage is to be had by me for inlay format.

Agreed. I once had a guy tell me I "had" to buy a guitar with sharkfin inlays just so I could see what I was playing in a dark club. Dumbest advice I've ever gotten about buying a guitar.  :sad:

Great Ape said:
Nonetheless, the dots still disappear!!  :glasses9:

We all tried that. Then we would go looking for them. And then somebody shouts something about "... stop playing jazz...".

SustainerPlayer said:
Great Ape said:
Nonetheless, the dots still disappear!!  :glasses9:

We all tried that. Then we would go looking for them. And then somebody shouts something about "... stop playing jazz...".

ROTFLMAO!

Yes, I ordered black side dots. 90% of the time I am singing while playing so even the side dots don't do me any good. Last thing I have time to do is watch dots while I play. As if remembering the lyrics, singing and making sure I don't mess up the progression/timing isn't enough. :)

Back