New Warmoth Vintage Tele side by side to Real Vintage Tele's

Tonar8352

I started working a new Vintage Tele body from Warmoth today.  I thought I would do a side-by-side comparison of a 54 that I refinished and a picture of a Broadcaster that I have.

The differences I noticed are the control route on the Warmoth is rounded on both ends instead of having one end squared off like a vintage Tele.  No big deal unless you take the control plate off.

The router hump is not nearly dramatic enough on the Warmoth.  If you look at the Broadcaster the router hump looks like ski jump, they are very pronounced on real vintage guitars.

Obviously the Warmoth neck pocket is tight unlike vintage Teles that are real sloppy and all over the place as far as neck fit goes.

The overall profile looks real good.  The only change I would make is to get the router hump closer to an original.  

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

1950BroadcasteBack.jpg

IMG_6782.jpg

Doug,
Notice on the Broadcaster in the horn where the neck pocket becomes part of the body there is a distinct hump or bump.  Vintage Tele enthusiasts will spot that in an instant if it is not correct. 

Tonar, thanks for the feedback.  I know it has taken some time to get the shop guys to *not* sand the hump out.  They're trained to keep it smooth, even and consistent.  Leaving a lump in the wood is counter to that approach.

Tonar8353 said:
Doug,
Notice on the Broadcaster in the horn where the neck pocket becomes part of the body there is a distinct hump or bump.  Vintage Tele enthusiasts will spot that in an instant if it is not correct. 
Ahhhhhhhh, ok I see it now... :glasses9:

So you just need the shop guys to stop bustin their humps?

the vintage body's neck pocket's top two holes jut out - ie that neck pocket's top edge itself juts out.

with warmoth the neck pocket is in line with the body/hump.

does that mean the vintage body's neck pocket is bigger than warmoths or warmoth's body is bugger than the vintage body?

or is it the angle of the photo?  ???

I've been shopping La Cab & Vintage Tele showcase bodies and it looks to me like the flat spot for the input jack may be a little too long.

This photo of the back of a CS La Cab shows there's a flattened jack cup area, but it's very subtle.

Compared to Fender's original and reissue Teles, I think the flat spot on the Warmoth replacement bodies is either cut too deep, or isn't blended enough into the perimeter (which, oddly, is the opposite of the problem with the router hump.)

pt2142a.jpg

Bah, more incorrect La Cab bodies keep coming down the line!

The router hump should be humpier and the flat area shouldn't be so hard.

Warmoth, please study some real La Cabronitas and improve your copy:

PT2142B.jpg
DSC_675767266_large.jpg

Sorry if I seem too picky, but I want to build one of these babies and I'd rather get a Warmoth than a homemade Tele Discussion Page plank.

none of those pictures are at the same angle, so it's really not feasible to compare them

the part I do not like about the Cab is the input flat is too dramatic.

I do plan on building on too, but that is down the line
everything else I can live with.

Back