Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
Check it out:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/I6U6EV7jSyc[/youtube]

Watched and liked  :icon_thumright:
Excellent video, as asual, The Aaron.
Bravo!

Excellent and helpful.

FWIW, I could hear a slight difference with the bridge clean sound, but after that I couldn't hear anything.

Excellent vid.  When played clean i perceived the chambered body had more meat to it, and the solid body had more airy-ness.  Just the reverse of  The Aaron's!  :dontknow:  With any amount of overdrive / distortion no difference.  So the main difference is weight. 

Thanks guys!

You many notice in my summation at the end that I do a lot of pointing at the camera. We did a "comedy edit" where every time I point my six-shooters you hear an Old-West-style gunshot/ricochet sound. It is freaking hilarious....but unfortunately it will have to remain un-aired.

Stop by sometime and I'll show it to you.

Well, The Aaron - first of all, I see you have a new avatar!

As to the comparo, for once I agreed with you right down the line. I was sure the 2nd one was chambered, and I noted the subtle differences same as you. Both guitars had great, usable tones.

I use Sennheiser headphones, by the way....

Well, no Sennheisers here, just SkullCandy buds. My reaction was that Body#1 sounded "fuller" than Body#2. Like the Mids were tweaked up just a smidge. Not necessarily a better sound, but noticeable none the less. I have solid and chambered bodies, can't say I really notice the difference at my house.

Awesome video, Aaron! You hit so many home runs on your videos!
Is it the dual big chambers body or the many small holes??

I think I could hear a small difference, but again, is so slightly that I'm certain in a band it would be unnoticeable!

I don't know if you *can*, but would be awesome compare a Gibby LP to a Regal (same woods and 24.75") to compare set neck to bolt on. Also hardtail strat VS tremolo...

Keep them coming, that you're doing a great job!

Well, that was a great video. There was a lot less difference than I would have expected. No way I could have told which was solid and which chambered. Guitar #2 just sounded a little fuller to my ears. Obviously my range of hearing is different than Steve's. Like you said, though, the difference is slight and wouldn't be the reason to base a decision. Weight would definitely be the real reason to select one over the other.

Rgand said:
...Obviously my range of hearing is different than Steve's...
As they say, "Your results may vary"!
FernandoEsteves said:
...I'm certain in a band it would be unnoticeable!
Definitely. In a recording, you might notice, but on stage, I don't think so.

BTW, Fernando, you're looking pretty dapper in the new avatar!  :eek:

Sounds identical to me.  :dontknow:
E.g. for SS vs regular frets comparison, I could hear subtle but distinct difference, here I don't hear anything. Just for the record, to me video where difference was big and obvious, was about neck construction types.

I haven't watched it because I'm not ready to have my hopes shattered.

Nice video!  I was wondering about this myself as I have a satin black chambered telecaster body on the way, only weighing in at 2 lbs. 15 oz.!

I could hear a difference but I thought they were the other way round.

I do wonder how often the differences in these shootout type videos are just the power of suggestion. Knowing you were playing two different guitars, of course I thought they sounded different. The real test would be a blind A/B where you don't even know whether a change has been made at all. I doubt I'd stake anything significant on my ability to guess under those circumstances.

Aaron, great video as always.  As others have said, minimal difference....not enough of difference to really matter.  Personally, I liked the sound of Body # 2 better.  Just a smidge sweeter, but again that much of a difference.  It was until the B/N and N pups that I started to hear any difference.  Didn't hear any difference on the B pup.

Well done, as always. Again, as with most of these "shootouts", I hear a subtle difference, but not enough to influence my Visa card, although lighter is always preferable to me so that's where the money would go.

Cagey said:
Well done, as always. Again, as with most of these "shootouts", I hear a subtle difference, but not enough to influence my Visa card, although lighter is always preferable to me so that's where the money would go.

Damn it.

Just when I was starting to eye that 23k post count and think "Hmm.....just maybe....."  :icon_biggrin:

Actually, seeing a new Cagey post is the best news I've had all day!  :icon_thumright:

Hehe! Happy to oblige!

I got some good news last night - I don't have pancreatic cancer! This, followed by a 1am trip to ultrasound to get more clues about my left leg expansion. Still no definitive word on what's going on there.

Back