New Warmoth Site Bug Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
jay4321 said:
I tried registering on new site but never got the email

For me, the email went to spam.  This often happens to emails generated by a website / webserver because the MX (mail) records don't match.

(Note to Warmoth - sending these emails through a delivery system such as sendgrid.com will whitelist them, fixing the issue).

Another technical note: There is nothing listening at port 80, regular http (filtered).

Even if you plan to serve web files only from 443/https, some devices and browsers will still look only for port 80, thinking the site is down.  Port 80 should be open, forwarding to 443.

Example for Apache:

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName warmoth.com
  ServerAlias www.warmoth.com

Redirect permanent / https://warmoth.com/
</VirtualHost>

Observed as fixed on 6/26/2021

Looking up order under "Order Status & Tracking" returns a 404 error, kinda scary, as if the order doesn't exist.  Guess I just sit back and wait for it to come in the mail one day. 

imfotpwh said:
Looking up order under "Order Status & Tracking" returns a 404 error, kinda scary, as if the order doesn't exist.  Guess I just sit back and wait for it to come in the mail one day.

Orders placed on the old web site are not ported to the new web site.

stratamania said:
imfotpwh said:

True - but that's a genuine 404 error, so it's definitely a bug.

Another small technical issue: many URLs show "index.php".  Best practice is to Mod Rewrite this out, both for simplicity and security:

Again - for Apache, in either site config file or a .htaccess file in the site root:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

ChronoTrigger77 said:
stratamania said:
imfotpwh said:

True - but that's a genuine 404 error, so it's definitely a bug.

I wonder how he is looking up Order Status & Tracking, at the moment all I see under orders is You have placed no orders. So if there are no orders in the new site what are the actual steps taken prior to a 404 error, which is just that the server could not find what was asked for. I don't think there is enough information to determine one way or the other.

Edit I found order status and tracking.

https://warmoth.com/order-tracking/

It does produce a 404 error, but I don't think it can be called a bug. If the site is needing to query a order database with nothing in it the returned dynamic page has no CMS content hence the 404.

I will say I am seeing more bugs than the beta site.

stratamania said:
It does produce a 404 error, but I don't think it can be called a bug. If the site is needing to query a order database with nothing in it the returned dynamic page has no CMS content hence the 404.

No - unless it's being spoofed, that's a genuine HTTP 404 at the server (apache etc) level.  It means the server cannot locate the specified resource (script, page etc).  It will need to be fixed in the code.  A database error or empty cms content would give a different error (or just a blank page).

To be clear, the form action is set to: https://warmoth.com/index.php/cms/page/info/, which doesn't exist.

ChronoTrigger77 said:
stratamania said:

No - unless it's being spoofed, that's a genuine HTTP 404 at the server (apache etc) level.  It means the server cannot locate the specified resource (script, page etc).  It will need to be fixed in the code.  A database error or empty cms content would give a different error (or just a blank page).

Exactly it can not find the resource in the DB that would be used to build a dynamic page. Not being able to build part of a dynamic page content is a 404 unless coded to do something different.

stratamania said:
Exactly it can not find the resource in the DB that would be used to build a dynamic page. Not being able to build part of a dynamic page content is a 404 unless coded to do something different.

This is technically possible, but I think they probably want to deliver a more useful response, like "order not found" or "email address not found".

At this point, there are a lot of existing Warmoth customers who didn't see Aaron's video and are wondering what happened to their old orders.  It would help to make sure the form lets the customers know that the info wasn't transferred over from the old site, but that Warmoth hasn't lost it either.

Exactly it is technically possible, but we do not know the intent here. I agree a more useful response would be better.

the new webzone is like 98% great. and we all know that last 2% is the hardest to get (thats why they leave it in the milk), so jus relaxicate and chillify

Just posting quickly so y'all don't feel ignored. Don't have time to read and respond right now, but this will be a very useful thread at some point in the future.

Thanks!

The Aaron said:
Just posting quickly so y'all don't feel ignored. Don't have time to read and respond right now, but this will be a very useful thread at some point in the future.

Thanks!

Just giving back for all the time I spent watching the YouTube channel.

Thanks everyone for submitting your bugs.

I've noticed that on mobile devices (touch screen), you can't zoom in like you can on most websites.  It's most obvious when viewing a showcase item, clicking the image to get a bigger one, then realizing that it's actually smaller and can't be enlarged.

This is the relevant code:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=0" />

May I suggest that feature requests get moved into its own thread rather than this one?  Just to avoid clogging the topic with requests of varying priorities?

Should it be possible to order Black Korina, Alder or Mahogany body woods with Mary Kay finish?
.. On the old website it was allowed, but now it is not!

A little aesthetics issue on mobile (Google Pixel 5, Android / Chrome) - image attached.

The pagination list might do better left justified (under the drop-downs) on mobile, as it may grow in length if the number of items in stock grows.

The text offset in the dropdowns is caused by this line in style.css:

@media (min-width: 480px) and (max-width: 768px)
.btn {
    padding: 6px 6px !important;
}

That said, especially seeing the !important declaration, it may well already be correcting for another browser...

Attachments

• warmoth-gallery-android-chrome.png
    warmoth-gallery-android-chrome.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 123
Gecko 5 small bass body - only available in rear route, which is a $20 upcharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back