New video: Top 5 Secret Warmoth options

Great video - once again! Out of those options I actually thought about the painted headstock, but as I went for laser engraving of the name ”Coffee” the company that did it said it was best to do directly on the wood (without paint). That bonus option (”heads of state” :) ) sounds very expensive - but also very desirable!

Nice work! BTW, I found out recently that if you want a painted headstock, then the entire neck needs to be painted. Not necessarily the same colour, but it did need to be painted. My specific example was silver flake headstock on an un-painted roasted maple neck. No can do according to Spike at the time.

Though you can get a clear satin finish neck with a painted gloss headstock, which is a useful option.

Last edited:
Nice work! BTW, I found out recently that if you want a painted headstock, then the entire neck needs to be painted. Not necessarily the same colour, but it did need to be painted. My specific example was silver flake headstock on an un-painted roasted maple neck. No can do according to Spike at the time.

Yep. Can't do paint/no paint. If you want a colored headstock then you have to get a finish on the back, even if it's clear.

Trying to think if I’ve ever ordered on menu… Warmoth hides all the goodies!

My red Strat has the off-menu 12th-fret-only inlay of the skull & crossbones. Looks wicked on a pure black ebony board.

Another off-menu that WM doesn't do is unlisted inlays on a bass neck. So none of the guitar inlays that aren't already on the menu for bass necks (no skull-n-bones, sharkfin, diamond, etc.). I asked about that a while ago.

The last Vintage Modern neck I ordered, I got Warmoth to do a square fretboard end instead of rounded.
I didn't have to call them. I just sent an e-mail.

Will have to ask Spike about this, but just in case you may know, Aaron, do you know if it is possible to have Warmoth mix and match inlays? For example, could you have shark fins but a skull and cross bones at the 12th? Not that that's a combo I'm looking at, but curious if something like that is possible.

Will have to ask Spike about this, but just in case you may know, Aaron, do you know if it is possible to have Warmoth mix and match inlays? For example, could you have shark fins but a skull and cross bones at the 12th? Not that that's a combo I'm looking at, but curious if something like that is possible.
I know for a face that dots and skull are possible. So I think it's a yes

Great video, helpful to have more info on what is and is not possible.

Any chance the website could feature a more complete listing of off-menu options we can/cannot order by phone?

I understand that they can be hard to build into the ordering menus, but they could still be listed on a separate page, right? Even with a disclaimer that the options are subject to change, that we should call to confirm, this would be really helpful.

I know for a face that dots and skull are possible. So I think it's a yes

I honestly don't know the answer to this. You'll have to call for the definitive word.

Any chance the website could feature a more complete listing of off-menu options we can/cannot order by phone?

I understand that they can be hard to build into the ordering menus, but they could still be listed on a separate page, right? Even with a disclaimer that the options are subject to change, that we should call to confirm, this would be really helpful.

IME, as soon as you put it in print people feel it's official, and when you have to say "no" they get upset. All that explaining has the potential to become a drain on customer service resources and time (to be honest, they are probably already hating me for this video) and ruins the customer experience.

The off-menu stuff will likely stay just that.

FYI, there are generally three reasons why off-menu stuff is off-menu:
  1. They require materials that are not readily available, and thus can't be made a standard offering. An example of this would be crackle paintjobs. We're not going to buy a bunch of that stuff for one order. In other cases supplies have become so scarce that we are unsure we will ever get more of it....ever....so we mete it out very slowly. E.g. certain wood species like Koa.
  2. They are too difficult to incorporate into the custom builders. E.g. headstock paint. Over 125 colors, combined with the conditional logic of the various neck back finishes AND all the options that would effect which colors would be available, like binding or fretboard wood. It's not possible/sustainable to program that and keep it working correctly.
  3. They are dependent on our production resources at the time the request is made. E.g. if you request some kind of custom paint thing when the paint department is already slammed we will likely say no. Other times, yes.

IME, as soon as you put it in print people feel it's official, and when you have to say "no" they get upset. All that explaining has the potential to become a drain on customer service resources and time (to be honest, they are probably already hating me for this video) and ruins the customer experience.

The off-menu stuff will likely stay just that.

FYI, there are generally three reasons why off-menu stuff is off-menu:
  1. They require materials that are not readily available, and thus can't be made a standard offering. An example of this would be crackle paintjobs. We're not going to buy a bunch of that stuff for one order. In other cases supplies have become so scarce that we are unsure we will ever get more of it....ever....so we mete it out very slowly. E.g. certain wood species like Koa.
  2. They are too difficult to incorporate into the custom builders. E.g. headstock paint. Over 125 colors, combined with the conditional logic of the various neck back finishes AND all the options that would effect which colors would be available, like binding rfretboard wood. It's not possible/sustainable to program that and keep it working correctly.
  3. They are dependent on our production resources at the time the request is made. E.g. if you request some kind of custom paint thing when the paint department is already slammed we will likely say no.
Wait I can get neon colors off menu!? I need a neon pink and purple to complete my collection

If I remember correctly, you used to be able to call and have any strat or CBS-style headstock cut down to a Warhead-style headstock. Is that still a thing?

I also very vaguely remember seeing a post about a Tele/Warhead hybrid headstock that was made a bunch of years ago, but I've searched and haven't been able to find the post. Was that a real thing, and, if so, is it an available, secret option?

Back