New to electronics: Pedal Kits?

Seamas

Other than installing some lighting fixtures in my house and  wiring a couple guitars I have just absolutely zero knowledge or experience with electronics.

That said I was caught up in watching guys repair and service amps--or turn old tube P.A. systems into guitar amps-- and now my curiosity is piqued.

Combine this with an interest in fuzz pedals, I figure I can kill two birds with one stone.
I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the various pedal kit vendors online.
Are any more geared to the beginner?
Do some come with better instructions than others?
I don't really have a good handle on reading a schematic, is there a good, yet simple resource you know of.
I figure my first attempt would be something along the lines of a boost pedal and then some type of simple fuzz or overdrive.

So far I have looked at
https://www.mammothelectronics.com/collections/effects-pedal-kits

as well as other makers on Reverb

Try the BYOC (Build Your Own Clone) website. They rate kits based on difficulty. A fuzz is a good place to start, as they are relatively simple circuits.

Do you already know how to solder? That's the essential skill to master.

Yeah, I am OK with soldering.

Thanks. I saw some B.Y.O.C. things on Reverb.

A month or so ago I ordered five ordered five pedal kits from Fuzz Dog/pedalparts.co.uk , all but one turned out great (and the one was my fault and potentially fixable). I liked that their kits have a difficulty rating (easy-medium-hard, etc) and their kit options sounded more interesting to me than some.

There was a bit of a learning curve; identifying transistors, which end of "polar" components go where, using the right amount of solder, don't overheat/fry your transistors. But I think if you can wire a guitar you can wire a basic pedal. Some of the fuzzes and boosts only have a couple of components.

My soldering skills are very very basic and I've managed a few BYOC kits. Some parts can be a bit fiddly but for the most part they're not too hard.

I've made their Tubescreamer, Scrambler and HM-2 clones and they're all good circuits. I've had a Big Muff kit waiting to be assembled for months and really should get around to it.

Rex have been able to compare the kits to the actual pedal.  How do they sound

Back when I was analog, I built 6-7 BYOC pedals.  Good kits and performance.  Fuzz is definitely a good one to start with. 

Rick said:
Rex have been able to compare the kits to the actual pedal.  How do they sound

I don't have a real screamer at the moment but it sounds very similar to my memory of the ones I've played in the past. If anything I'd say the BYOC version may clean up a little better than the real thing. Mine is also a bit noisier than a real one because it was my first build and I made a few mistakes I had to fix.

I've never had access to a real Scrambler, so can't help on that front, but it's fun which is good enough for me.

I have two real HM-2s here and the BYOC version sounds better, I think because the Boss ones are in various states of disrepair being 30+ years old.

When you want to do something more ambitious, I think most people could build an AX84.
https://www.ax84.com/

I like BYOC as a company, and their instructions, but.... I do differ a bit with their suggestions.
I like - resistors, caps, passive components... jack and switches as a basic progression. 

I prefer to "grab a resistor" - measure it - find out where it goes - install it.
Same for capacitors.
Diodes are easy to get right.  So are chips.
Take your time, think things thru.... as in... maybe not install the jacks in the order they were mentioned in.  Ditto the power plugs.
My association with BYOC is as a customer, and several kits for pedals have been 100 percent perfect with their parts count and instructions (with noted slight exceptions).

Thanks all.

I ordered a BYOC classic fuzz from a vendor on Reverb (the BYOC was out of stock).

If this goes well I am considering trying to perform one of the popular mods on my BD-2.

Back