New T-Style build...have questions and looking for advice input

snottyboy

Greetings Warmoth Community!

First post...

I'm in the process of completing a T-Style build and am putting together a neck order. I'm thinking either Wolfgang or SRV profile in 42mm or 43mm nut width, Warmoth compound radius, in roasted maple with ebony fretboard, and debating 6150 vs 6115 fret wire, tusq nut, and also thinking Gotoh tuner drill and purchasing tuners along with the neck. I currently have a T-Style that is roasted maple/rosewood, 41mm, 9.5 radius, and 6230 fret wire. I like the neck quite a bit, but feel I would like a bit more width at the nut, and also a wider fret size. Pretty much set on ebony fretboard. Looking for input/advice, pros/cons of any and all aspects of my prospective neck build. FYI - body is a double-bound tobacco burst in alder and will (at least initially) have Lollar 52 pickups, and compensated brass saddles. Thank you all in advance for your insights!

Welcome to the forum, the best I can say about your choices is that, as with most things spec wise, it is a subjective choice in the end.

Wont hear me complain about ebony fretboards!

You’re changing it up quite a bit from your current guitar. 6230 is a very small fretwire, and if you’re looking for something wider but not taller 6130 would be a good choice.

It seems like you are leaning towards something a bit more on the metal/shred side of specs. Is there a reason you want a thinner / asymmetrical neck profile? Just because Warmoth charges for it doesn’t make it superior. Some people like asymmetrical necks and some don’t.

Other than that I say you’ve got it specd to address all of your concerns and it should be (like everything Warmoth builds) quite good.

Wont hear me complain about ebony fretboards!

You’re changing it up quite a bit from your current guitar. 6230 is a very small fretwire, and if you’re looking for something wider but not taller 6130 would be a good choice.

It seems like you are leaning towards something a bit more on the metal/shred side of specs. Is there a reason you want a thinner / asymmetrical neck profile? Just because Warmoth charges for it doesn’t make it superior. Some people like asymmetrical necks and some don’t.

Other than that I say you’ve got it specd to address all of your concerns and it should be (like everything Warmoth builds) quite good.
Thank you for your response! I purchased my current tele as a completed build and it has an SRV profile (which I really like!). I have smaller hands and it gives me better access on the higher side of the neck. But that being said, I have a strat with a fatback profile that I like a lot, too. Additionally, I have a 59 profile neck that seems like a neck you can't go wrong with. I tend to like a little more wood, and the SRV feels like the 59 with a bit taken off the high side. I'm apprehensive about the Wolfgang feeling thinner than I would prefer (and not sure about the extra offset), but then I also know a tick up or down in nut width makes a huge difference. So yes, I think I want an asymmetrical neck, but not sure exactly which way to go. I also feel like I could go 59 and be happy. Frets...I definitely don't shred but feel like I would like more fret and a smoother glide. I will look a t the 6130. Ebony is pretty much locked in.

Back