new strat body

ranger91

just recieved my first strat body from warmoth. I noticed it is overall about a quarter of an inch thinner than the body of a mexican standard strat that i own. is this typical?

Don't know, never owned a Mexican Strat, and doubt I'd notice the 1/4 inch difference; Warmoth bodies are always within their stated spec(s), but the Fender import specs are all over the place.

I kinda figured it was the MIM that was different. btw ,,,,sitting side by side i can see the difference from six feet away, kept wondering if it was an illusion, so i finally got a ruler and checked.

God knows why but the fender plant in Mexico just seem to go in in the morning, see how much wood they have and decide their specs for the day. WHy on earth they don't make them uniform is beyond me.

Sounds curious to me, although raw billets vary in thickness one would think the first step in the process would be to run them through a planer to get them true and it would be adjusted to a set height. Does the variation in MIM Strat thickness have any correlation to wood type, i.e., are alder bodies thicker than ash?

i personally haven't noticed any correlation with the thickness and wood types....my MIM has an alder body and my friend AJ's is ash but they look about the same to me....never measured tho.... :icon_scratch:

I dunno about Fender but I think (not looking right now) all the Warmoth bodies are a certain thickness which is why their LP bodies are the same width of a strat.

CD said:
I dunno about Fender but I think (not looking right now) all the Warmoth bodies are a certain thickness which is why their LP bodies are the same width of a strat.

They all seem to be 1 3/4" deep. Makes sense having all the blanks the same when they make such a diverse range of body styles

I just checked my american strat and its about 1.78" thick.  The .03" are easily taken up by finish.  The measurements were done with a set of dial calipers so its really accurate.  Hope this helps...

SRV69 said:
I just checked my american strat and its about 1.78" thick.  The .03" are easily taken up by finish.  The measurements were done with a set of dial calipers so its really accurate.  Hope this helps...

I got 1.79" thick on my Trans Red Warmoth Strat body
and 1.77" on my black Warmoth Strat

Back