New Short Scale Bass Project!

tallman

So since the W can't make me a 30" scale bass and I can't find one I like anywhere (I'm currently playing a 30" Epiphone SG bass which is alright, but I'd prefer a different sound with the same scale), I've decided to make my own!
I've just received a squier Bronco bass neck which I'm gonna put new tuners on and paint the headstock
I'll probably end up just making the body from scratch- I've considered modifying a jazzmaster guitar body, but the neck pocket has to be substantially -longer- to accept the bronco bass neck properly (i.e. the neck goes further into the body shape).
The body will be finished in Indigo blue nitro, with clearcoat and there will be probably a parchment PG.
I'm looking at Lollar J bass pups, and MASTER VOL, MASTER TONE on the lower control panel- and I haven't decided what to do on the contol plate on the upper horn (I'll be making the plates myself, so anything is possible!) Any ideas?
Also, I know Badass bridges are supposed to be nice- anyone have any experience with them?

Heres a photo chop mockup of what I'm thinking:

How about a blade switch?

It would look cool, but I wonder if it would be too inconvenient to use?

If not a blade switch, definitely a toggle switch for pickup selection.

We can make you a 30" short scale bass. Just give Eric Wylie a call and tell him Sean said you can buy one before they are released.

Thanks,
Sean

tallman said:
Also, I know Badass bridges are supposed to be nice- anyone have any experience with them?

I've got a BA II and I had a BA III bridge, and if you are going short-scale I would defnitely go BA III. It takes up much less real estate on the front of the guitar and allows stringing through the body, which some people say imroves tension, which is an issue on some 30" basses.

Red Rocks said:
We can make you a 30" short scale bass. Just give Eric Wylie a call and tell him Sean said you can buy one before they are released.

Thanks,
Sean

Oh!  I think I just got hit by a bus!

FYI, there's a TalkBass hang in Seattle this weekend.  I'll have one of the shortscale basses and a PJ with slim taper neck for people to try.

Back