new rule - no politics?

dbw

Master Member
I am as guilty as anyone of arguing politics in the offtopic forum.  But it has started to make this board all lame and argumentative.  What do you guys think of making a no-politics rule?

Politics? weren't they an 80's New Wave band?

I'm here for guitars too.  If I want to argue politics I'll talk to my Dad.

If it in the off topic category, then I don't see the problem. That's what it's for, otherwise it wouldn't be there, correct me if I'm wrong. :dontknow:

But as with most  everyone else, I'm here to talk about guitars.. :icon_biggrin:

dbw said:
I am as guilty as anyone of arguing politics in the offtopic forum.  But it has started to make this board all lame and argumentative.  What do you guys think of making a no-politics rule?

That's just because we're still busy setting up the government now that we've won. Once all in place we'll start rounding up all the dimwitted conservative/fascist dittoheads and ship them to the camps in Utah and Arizona; they won't have internet access there and will cease to an issue.

Politics looks isolated to one forum of the many forums here. I cling to the faith that adult individuals have the potential to self-govern themselves.

If someone pegs the jerk meter then flag that post for a moderator to review and they may be permanently ejected for violating our rule to be civil to one another here.

How about this:

If you can't discuss politics without getting all whacked-out estrogeny and resorting to veiled ad hominem attacks and the usual kiddie "forum strategies" for proving yourself "right"...

...then take your Ritalin, shut yer pie hole and don't talk about politics.

I think that sounds fair.  :icon_biggrin:

I've been involved in a few discussions - I think we've been pretty civil about it.

If you think this place is bad, go to the DU (democratic underground) - this place doesn't even register on the radar compared to places like that.

And for the record, I would never (and have never) flag a post (even veiled personal attacks) unless it's blatant spam.  I can handle it.

jackthehack said:
Once all in place we'll start rounding up all the dimwitted conservative/fascist dittoheads and ship them to the camps in Utah and Arizona; they won't have internet access there and will cease to an issue.

Why is it that "tolerant" people want to round up opposing viewpoints and put them in internment camps? I'm pretty sure that's a historically fascist behavior.

As for the forum, I don't know that the rule is a good idea. Just only participate in threads you are interested in. I don't play tremlo at all, so I stay out of all the Floyd Rose threads.

jackthehack said:
That's just because we're still busy setting up the government now that we've won. Once all in place we'll start rounding up all the dimwitted conservative/fascist dittoheads and ship them to the camps in Utah and Arizona; they won't have internet access there and will cease to an issue.

irregardless of your political preferences -

IMO this kind of post is definite OTT meter pegging on going too far in the political theme ... how can this kind of post encourage anything but further polarization and continued divisiveness?

if I had my preferences there'd be a hard fast MANDATE that all political discussion is worthy of a week+ "rest away from UW posting" period, and a further offense would mean banishment. then again, thankfully for all those who do wish to talk politics on a GUITAR BUILDING FORUM I'm not Gregg and don't make the rules here. aren't you all lucky for that  :icon_jokercolor:

R

Superlizard said:
If you can't discuss politics without getting all whacked-out estrogeny and resorting to veiled ad hominem attacks

Translation - If you disagree with me I'll call you a woman. But no ad hominem attacks.  :laughing7:

I don't know how many of you are familiar with strange loops in formal systems, but according to most modern thinking on the subject, posting about not having political talk is, in itself, political talk and trying to obliterate it from your formal system will thus create the kind of chaos in said formal system that proves that said formal system can not have existed in the first place.  Read Kurt Godel.

guitlouie said:
I don't know how many of you are familiar with strange loops in formal systems, but according to most modern thinking on the subject, posting about not having political talk is, in itself, political talk and trying to obliterate it from your formal system will thus create the kind of chaos in said formal system that proves that said formal system can not have existed in the first place.  Read Kurt Godel.

This made me smile. You sound like Foucault.  :laughing7:

nathan a said:
guitlouie said:

This made me smile. You sound like Foucault.  :laughing7:

If you create a forum about not posting about guitars, then all of the guitars will suddenly implode in a puff of logic.

F it, it's saturday night, I'm drunk, my wife and I are fighting, so bring it on... Politics, religion, fret size, tremelo, PUPs, bands, music, bring it...  J/K, we should all be civil I suppose.  Kinda takes the fun outta boards though, after all it'a ALL about opinions...

I don't understand why people who don't want to talk about politics read the threads about politics.  How bout we just have a "don't read threads you aren't interested in" rule?

Back