new neck arrived, 4 sperzels don't fit

Smpl9

the new warmoth neck arrived. beautiful too.

i opted for sperzel tuners. 4 of the tuners won't go fully into their hole. the E-B tuners go in fine.

so, do i just ream the holes a bit?  advice?

is so, after that do i have to stain & gloss the holes again, wouldn't think so but had to ask.

thanks

sand em out a bit. I used some 320 wrapped around a pencil. others might have a better solution but it worked for my bass tuners.

Brian

Sperzel holes aren't straight bores. They're reamed out 3/64" from 11/32" vintage holes.

keyholes_3.gif

Reamers aren't perfectly cylindrical; they're very slightly conical...

Peghole_Reamers_lg.jpg

So, a reamed hole is wider at one end than the other. That's why bpmorton777's advice is good - wrap some fine (320 grit) sandpaper around a pencil, and give the hole a few strokes. Keep in mind you don't want your tuners loose - they should be from snug to tight, like a press-fit - so don't be too ambitious with the sandpaper.

And no, don't put any finish in there.

it's the finish that's getting in the way.  Steve_Karl & bpmorton777's methods should fix you up

thanks all. i think i was told this before and forgot while waiting on delivery. no matter, off to get some 320 and an ivory soap bar.

your help is much appreciated!

Just run the sandpaper through a few strokes at a time. As others have touched on, it's important not to open the holes too much. When you can comfortably, but not too easily, push them in with your finger, you've got it just right.

llmtelecaster said:
Just run the sandpaper through a few strokes at a time. As others have touched on, it's important not to open the holes too much. When you can comfortably, but not too easily, push them in with your finger, you've got it just right.

good point, thanks

and i have a small rubber mallett if i need it

llmtelecaster said:

+1. Works well if you take the opening up a little at a time. :icon_thumright:

I wouldn't use soap, soap and wood don't go together, if your gonna use anything for lubrication, use wax. Wax is way more inert than soap.

didn't need any wax | soap. a little 320 sanding and the E-A-D-G's fit snug as a rug.

wow, what a difference this new neck and tuners are over the stock mim neck that came with the guitar. the barre chords i was having trouble with and that obnoxious buzz/twang from the hi-E string are gone.

certainly enhanced the playability for me which is exactly what i was hoping - thanks Warmoth!.

thanks folks for the tips - couldn't have done it with it ya.

I had to slightly ream the holes for My Sperzel locking tuners. No big deal. Just go in small increments until the tuner fits through the hole.

Back