New LPS Build...PROGRESS

dmraco

Master Member
I Figure I will document this one.   Enclosed are some initial shots of the black korina/flame maple body.  I have filled the grain of the korina with 4 coat of clear grain fill.  I have also put on the 1st coat of Tobacco brown dye.   It looks a little blotchy because it is drying....next I will sand and then to the amber....

here are some more...The 1st is after sanding back the tobacco brown...I hate this....I always ask...."too much-too Little...I don't know."  Well after I hit it a last time with a fine sanding black and some naptha (you can see it drying) I decided to stop.  The brown seems to stop coming off so I guess I was hitting the deeper grain on the flame maple.

the next photo is with the amber applied.  When wet it has a nice tiger eye fell to it.  Which is the look a was going for.

Can anyone tell me if you can mix the stew mac dyes with Minwax wipe on poly???  I am interested in browning up my poly to go over the korina...I want to keep it natural but a little darker than it is.  I will also have a natural masked binding on this bad bot so it will be a nice contrast.

starting the clear....here are some photos of the figuring in the flame maple, the natural korina, flame neck, and natural binding.  I was hoping for a little more contrast with the natural binding but I guess leaving the korina natural that is what I was left with....

sorry...just realized this should be in the "work in progress forum." :doh: :doh:

Here are some close ups of the finish...it curing.  I used Minwax spray poly...gloss.  I applied the 1st two cans, waited 72 hours per the instruction on the side of the can, sanded flat with 320 grit, and finished with another 2 cans.  It is soooooooo smooth that I barely need to sand.  I have a few spots with some dust specks that I can knock down with some 2000 grit.  I am very happy.  I am going to let it sit for a good 4-5 days before touching it.

Dude...that's beautiful!  Amazing work so far.  :icon_thumright:  Can't wait to see it finished!

getting there.  It would be done but I am waiting for my PU rings from allparts.

Back