Soloist rescue! Black korina on swamp ash

fdesalvo

What’s up!  Found a great deal on a body that was previously finished with a dye, oil, and wax finish. There were flaws everywhere, but I was able to take the body back to bare wood. I was not able to remove some of the stain and evidence of drips that the wood really soaked in, but they finished out well enough. 

I decided to go with a satin UV-cure resin grain fill and finish, using Solarez products (grain filler and “I can’t believe it’s not lacquer”). Testing in scrap wood revealed a beautiful and iron clad finish that resisted indentation and fingernail and pick assaults.

It took me 45 min to fill the grain lol. The Solarez is incredible, curing within 3 minutes in sunlight. I left just a touch of grain for natural feelies. The top coat laid down thick and self levels really well, but I had issues with fish-eyes, that level sanded out fine. Learning curve stuff. I can’t wait to learn more about applying the topcoat. The gloss is very deep and there were zero adhesion issues with any layers. Gotta say it - this is much more rugged than tru oil and much easier to apply. I still love tru oil, but this is my go-to now.

Pics attached. The image with bridge installed is right after sanding the old finish off. Photos with ferrules installed depict the finished body. Neck being crafted out of black korina And macassar ebony.  A month or two out, so next updates will be of the body replete with pickups n hardware. Oh, body is at my luthier’s getting a single coil slot routed in the neck position.

7N5Tpjb.jpg

After first clear coat lol. 100% solids, so builds fast.
ggBeadT.jpg

Flattened finish to satin sheen
a372X0I.jpg

Zy1QBW4.jpg

After final polishing
KVLnbiN.jpg

Love how this finished up
2Z8wC7r.jpg

Looks great! Is that the SD Jupiter rails? I'd be curious to hear what you think of it once you get it playing

Ty!

Yes it is. I’m no Wes Hauch and won’t be playing that style or in that key, but I need this guitar for the heavies.

Looks killer! Not seen the Jupiter rails, are they a hot Bill Laurence style?

The Jupiter is its own beast!  It’s got such a chewy midrange with punch and clarity. Not sure it’ll find a permanent home here, but I have to find out.

Agreed about black korina! It’s become my fav wood and light weight swamp ash has also surprised me with its resonance and balanced tone.

Back