New Jazzmaster just arrived

elgravos

Hopefully I'll get this posting business right this time...

Here’s my second project coming together at last.  I’d put a post up a while back looking for suggestions from the forum on this build.

In the end I went for the Korina body / canary neck combo.  I am simply AMAZED at the outcome – though I have no idea what on earth this thing is going to sound like. Frankly, it looks so good I could hardly care.  Well maybe not…  As everyone says around here, the pictures don’t come close to doing it justice.  And I’m just discovering that I’m a pretty lousy photographer.

I indulged myself with this one.  Here are the specs:

- 1 piece Korina body with 5A quilted maple top with amber dye (really pleased with the color as I wasn’t sure how this would come out.  The only picture I’ve found is the one on the dye section of the official site and I’m relieved to see that it is very accurate) – so for those who are wondering what amber dye looks like in the flesh, well it’s amazing.  Go for it.

- Canary neck with Kingwood board (both a long shot but couldn’t be more pleased so far).  The figuring of the Kingwood is great and the red tones in the neck are cool too.  I actually had a satin finish put on as I get nervous where raw necks are concerned.    Yes, I had to go with a reverse CBS.  Just looks better on a JM in my opinion.

I was also concerned about where they were going to put the pots as I’d simply asked for “1 vol / 1 tone” in strat configuration.  I was worried they were going to peg them at the same angle and right next to the bridge pickup as you see on a strat.  Once I realized this might happen it was actually keeping me up at night – too late in the day to call and check.  In any case, the Jazzmaster anatomy (and some good taste over at Warmoth!) won the day and they placed the holes perfectly.

I’m going to throw on a couple of dimarzios for now (Evo 2 and an Air Classic neck) and hope to upgrade to bare knuckles (steve stevens set) once I’ve saved up some cash. 

Wilkie trem / Sperzel locking tuners (staggered so no string trees) and an LSR nut (there’s another choice I hope I won’t end up regretting!).

For the time being though, I’m just walking around in a daze.  Only problem is my tech’s got a 2 week backup and there’s no way I’m drilling this thing myself.  More waiting…  will post more pics once it’s built.

Attachments

• LR 1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 417
  • LR 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 347
Hot Hot Hot!!! Bolt on that neck, screw in your trem and at least play it, if you're too afraid to drill pickguard screws! Great choices and nice-looking dye.

I think it looks cool, though I'd have top-routed it.  So much of the Jazzmaster mystique is in that pickguard for me...

already got the strat top routed - as it should be - so I thought I'd give the rear route a try for a change.  Obviously not a build for j-master purists!

Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God!

And forget the DiMarzio!!!! Rebel Yells FOR THE WIN!
icon_twisted.gif

I always loved the idea of a rear routed Jazzmaster with a fancy top! :)
Very nice! I can't wait to see the completed guitar.

I amloving that.  I very good friend of mine Russel (Shameless plug - check out www.myspace.com/skullsband  ..... Don't worry they're not death metal like the name might suggest) plays a jazzmaster, but I'd never though of doing a fancy one.

Thats gonna look brilliant once it's done.  And make sure you listen to NonsenseTele, go for the Rebel Yells.  You'll love 'em.

What colour hardware you going for?  Gold might look nice on bad boy.....just my thoughts.

Great Stuff.... :cool01:

Hardware's going to be all chrome on this one.

Would love to go with the Rebel Yells but the current exchange rates puts them over 400 bucks.  That's a hell of a lot of cash to pay for a couple of pickups, not matter how great they are...  I'll just keep savin'up and hoping the dollar comes back to its senses one of these days.

That just looks delicious.    I want to eat it.  Just beautiful.  Nice pick man, I hope it sounds as great as it looks.

Super nice coloring. It's always worth upgrading the lamtop if you are going to dye it; it comes out really nice that way.

Back