New J-Bass : blue dyed quilted maple on alder and ziricote on flame maple

wow dude. that things a beauty. and the clip sounds great. - though I would have liked to hear a little more.  :icon_biggrin: But that's cuz I'm greedy.
How are the electronics setup? Does't look like there's enough knobs for an active setup

dNA said:
wow dude. that things a beauty. and the clip sounds great. - though I would have liked to hear a little more.  :icon_biggrin: But that's cuz I'm greedy.
How are the electronics setup? Does't look like there's enough knobs for an active setup

thanks dNA.
Actually, I'm not good at playing bass solos and a bit shy to just walk around on the neck, that's why I used the delay  :laughing7: I'm not alone...

Elcetronics :

It's a Noll electronic (see previous post of Auxan in page 3 : http://www.delano.de  JMVC 4 FE/M2 + MC 4 FE with a Noll TCM3 preamp !)

Knob 1 : split in 2 => internal = master volume+ push/pull for active/passive respectively, extrernal = panpot
Knob 2 : split in 2 => internal = treble boost/cut, external = bass boost/cut
Knob 3 : medium boost/cut

Switch 3 positions for bridge : split/serial/parallel

bendeg said:
I'll do that a bit later, when I feel confortable with its neck, 'cause I have to get used to it, it's thinner at the nut, but the contour is bigger than my old one.

How come you didn't choose the slim profile for this neck, if you wanted a thinner neck?

Or did you order before it was available?

I didn't think much about the neck profile at that time (10th april).

Though it's a bit bigger, I know I'll get used to it. And I put bigger strings as well (50-110 instead of 45-105)...This makes the whole thing very stiff.

But after what I saw on the site and in the forum, bigger necks have a better tone. So, I really don't regret my choice.

Here's a sample with various pickup config :

PASSIF
1 panpot =neck + bridge
2 panpot = neck
3 panpot = bridge

ACTIF
4 idem
5 idem
6 idem

ACTIF
7 bass boost (max)
8 treble boost (max)
9 middle boost (max)

http://shamans.be/jbass_passive_active_sample.mp3

Oh, forgot to tell :

Sounds come through USB of a multi-effect pedal (its main EQ settings are flat as well, no effects)
and
I bite my nails => sound is MUCH more "chocked" than with a nail/mediator => I strike the strings rather than I pluck them => that hits the frets => I have to be careful...

That thing looks and sounds amazing. I've got a Delano JMVC4 FE/M2 and MC4 AL/V4 combo sitting on my workbench just waiting for me to decide on a body.

Interstate Joe said:
That thing looks and sounds amazing. I've got a Delano JMVC4 FE/M2 and MC4 AL/V4 combo sitting on my workbench just waiting for me to decide on a body.

Put it, and see you in heaven ! Those pickups are really good !

bendeg said:
Interstate Joe said:

Put it, and see you in heaven ! Those pickups are really good !

Yeah, I'm running a set of JMVC4 FE/M2s in my korina/bubinga jazz and they are killer!

After almost 3 years and playing often :

Fret (gold ones) wear clearly visible (after having polished them) up to the 9th fret (approx.). When I slide my finger on them, I can easily feel it's not straight anymore.

Frets are only slightly worn NOT under the strings but BETWEEN the strings.

Looks like my fingers sweat (not properly cleaned each time, my bad...) did oxydise the frets much faster than under the strings, it looks ok right under the strings...

It needs a fret levelling.

Did anyone had the same ?

That is not an answer to my question but anyway, thanks man, still loving my first W baby !  :help:

bendeg said:
After almost 3 years and playing often :

Fret (gold ones) wear clearly visible (after having polished them) up to the 9th fret (approx.). When I slide my finger on them, I can easily feel it's not straight anymore.

Frets are only slightly worn NOT under the strings but BETWEEN the strings.

Looks like my fingers sweat (not properly cleaned each time, my bad...) did oxydise the frets much faster than under the strings, it looks ok right under the strings...

It needs a fret levelling.

Did anyone had the same ?

In a word, no. I currently have two guitars with those frets on them, and they're as perfect as day one.

What you describe does not make sense. I can believe the frets are more shiny under the strings simply due to burnishing effect of metal-on-metal contact, but not that they're worn lower between strings, or that your fingers are wearing the frets but the strings are leaving them alone. Gold frets are much harder than the typical nickel-sliver frets installed on the vast majority of guitars, and those don't wear that way, either.

I have a buddy who freely sweats an acid similar to the blood of the aliens on LV-427 that can eat the chrome/gold of any hardware in less than a year, who doesn't use gold or stainless frets, and doesn't suffer the wear patterns you describe.

Although, I can believe it needs a fret levelling. Even new necks often need that. If you didn't have it done, then it's likely the frets weren't dressed or polished, either. Not that any of that would have changed the wear patterns.

Back