new curious poll, guitarists you have met?

A couple of years ago I litterally bumped into Jan Akkerman in a music store (voted best guitarist in the world by UK magazine Melody Maker before I was even born).

I'm so lucky to live in a little town called Stjørdal in norway. There is a place called Hell in Stjørdal (google it if you dont believe me). And we're having a music festival called Hell Blues Festival. Lots of well known bands and artists gather once a year to meet me  :laughing7:

Steve Morse
Jeff healey
John Petrucci
Snoop Dogg's guitarist (lol)
Gary Moore
Alexi Laiho
Buddy Guy
Johnny Winter
+++++

And just for the heck of it;
John Lord
Roger Glover
Don Airey
Dave LaRue
+++

I've met an number at guitar clinics  Eric Johnson , very nice guy, Tommy Tedesco the studio legend .. quite a funny man, Robben Ford , the late Randy California  an increddible talent and wonderful guy, along with many singer songwriters  Paul Thorn, Heather Luttrell, Jennifer Daniels and her husband Jeff who plays electric with her, Donna Hopkins, House Rocker Johnson, Ralph Roddenberry, Rorey Carroll ....

Joe Walsh has an LSD-addled California surf-idiot personality that he can slip on and off like a hat. He's even done some stand-up comedy acts on open mike nights, playing the idiot. In real life, even in the party years, he's been a real smart dude. One of the first things he did in the Eagles was teach them how to run their finances - they had no idea that they were supposed to be making money off of T-shirt sales at arenas! Though, one could argue he did too good a job at waking up their inner greed monster.

I almost plowed into Robert Fripp coming out of the restroom once (would've stopped him for a handshake, but it seemed in poor taste, even though I did wash up, he can be, well, particular...), and Adrian Belew touched my shoulder cutting through a crowd, do either of those count?  :dontknow:

I haven't met any famous musicians but I held a door open for Jerry Springer once.  :laughing7:

Bassist Tim Drummond would live at my house from time to time. Had Tim, Lonnie Mack, "Dumpy" Rice, "Fingers Taylor", and 2 of the sons of Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup in my living room at the same time.

timdrummond.jpg

Neil Young called Tim when he was living here. Jim Keltner called Tim from George Harrison's home one day. 3 degrees of seperation from a Beatle is my claim to fame.

When I lived in Big Sur, California, I bumped into Tuck & Patti at the local grocery store one day and had a nice little chat with them... nice folks!

Great stories, I enjoyed reading all of them. Mine aren't nearly as cool.

I met Steve Vai when I was about 13-14, I was so starstruck I didn't know what to say, but he did sign my ticket stub. Very nice and quiet guy.

I met Mike Muir and Mike Clark from Suicidal Tendencies once in Tucson. I also met Tracy G, the guy who used to play for Dio.

When I was in the Air Force, Twisted Sister came and played a show for us and I got to hang out with JJ French and then eat lunch with the band. I sat next to Dee and chatted them up for a while, all very nice guys.

I met all the guys from Los Angeles Guitar Quartet. Very nice, huge nerds, and monster players.

I met and took a picture with my guitar hero, Tommy Emmanuel, who is also a beast and a very nice guy.

My mom--in her younger days--sold a pair of Reeboks to the king of Spain who, incidentally, I was named after.  :laughing7:

The person I would most like to meet is Steve Morse.

Is "sold a pair of Reeboks to" a euphemism?

That Jessica Alba, eh? I wouldn't mind if she sold me a pair of Reeboks, if you know what I mean.

Jumble Jumble said:
Is "sold a pair of Reeboks to" a euphemism?

That Jessica Alba, eh? I wouldn't mind if she sold me a pair of Reeboks, if you know what I mean.

:icon_biggrin: :laughing3: :laughing7: No, she literally sold him a pair of Reeboks, you rascal, you.

I spoke with Ken Fischer on the phone for probably 20-30 minutes once while he answered questions about an article he had written, and just yakked about tube circuits. He was kind of the anti- Howard/Alex Dumble. Genuine nice guy.

jrybicki said:
anyone meet their guitar hero in person?  get an autograph?  post a pic if you have one! :kewlpics:

Cool thread, hate to see it go stagnant.

Not exactly an autograph but you get the idea...

me-evo640.jpg

:headbang:

I'm glad this poll came up. It forced me to sift through what's left of my memory and try to remember guitarists I've met.

The most nebulous was someone who bumped into me right before the start of a Ron Wood/Bo Diddley gig. ""Pardon me," said a very British voice. Yes, it wasn't Bo Diddley.

The briefest were handshakes with SRV and once when Chuck Berry told me he was too busy for a handshake in the midst of signing autographs.

Which may sound toolish, but in 1983 (!) I saw Alcatrazz open for Ted Nugent, and Yngwie came out to watch Ted. When he shook my hand, he literally tilted his head back, the better to look down his nose at me. Tool Crown goes to Yngwie.

Briefly met or got autographs/photos with Rudolf Schenker, Mathias Jabs, George Lynch, Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman.

I met Brian Robertson (and Philthy Animal Taylor) when they were playing with Frankie Miller in 1987, opening for Bob Seger.

That same year I met Brad Whitford at a Gary Moore show.

I met and spoke at length with Vernon Reid, who I remember quoting Sting as saying that being on tour was like Field Trip of the Damned. Vernon was REALLY a nice guy, and we actually talked very little about music.

I also met the last surviving roadie from the Allmans Fillmore back cover photo, though I imagine by now he's passed.

Working for Warner Hodges and thus spending considerable time in Nash Vegas, I've met a LOT of guitarists, including Dan Baird, Audley Freed, Jeff Cease, Rick Richards, Sonny Landreth and bassist Michael Rhodes. Others too, but those are the ones I can recall.

All of them are really nice people, and that's the beauty of Nashville; no one's got an attitude because everyone is someone.

I met Joe Bonamassa when he and Warner played on the same bill in Nebraska. Not a fan, though his rhythm section were really funny guys and a lot of fun to talk with.

Got to go backstage for the Eat 'Em and Smile tour  in 1986 and spoke at length with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan. Steve was very tolerant of my questions, but Billy was a lot more fun.

I met him again in 2008 in Singapore at a pre-show meet-n-greet for Mr. Big. All of them, who had just gotten to SG from a run of shows in India and were obviously not enjoying the weather and exhausted, came across as very sincere in thanking me for being there, especially when I told them I'd come from Hong Kong just for the show.

The show was outdoors (you can watch all of it on YouTube if you search), and I could see that these guys were suffering. But after the show, Eric Martin came out to sign autographs and take pictures. And he looked like a heat casualty.

It's hot and humid in Singapore and we had to wait outside for the photo shoot, which is why I'm sweating like a hooker in church in that photo.

Attachments

• 5_n.jpg
    5_n.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 613
Eric Johnson. Was buying strings at a place in S. Austin, turned to my left and there's this tall skinny blond guy standing next to me. I think I said "hey, how 'ya doing" or something like that  :doh:

Frank Zappa. Well, didn't really say anything to him, was standing by some bus in the back of Austin Colesium after his "Them Or Us" show and he walked up, nodded and stepped into the bus.

Jimmie Vaughan. Again, didn't actually meet him, was driving north on Mopac in S. Austin at like 7 AM on a Sunday morning and came up behind this bright orange, slammed 50's Cadillac, went to pass it, looked over and there is Jimmy behind the wheel. I waved and took off.

That's about it for my brushes with greatness :)

I lived in Austin 1981 to 1987, and the "stars" just weren't starry. Just by chance my wife & I first moved in next to the drummer from the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Fran Christina. Jimmie Vaughan was their guitar player back then, and I was a bass player next door. Bands practice at the drummer's house... at that point SRV was just Jimmie's little brother, he & his wife would periodically fuss, throw him out and he didn't even have a car to live in, just borrowed couches. Angela Strehli & Lou Ann Barton lived up the street and more-or-less shared a band, they all played all the same songs anyway. That neighborhood (Rainey St.) was kind of a cul-de-sac created when they ran I-35 through so there were always crazy people wandering the street at night twanking on Stratocasters. So I met all those guys, David Murrey (guitarist, not sax), David Grissom, Junior Brown, Ray Benson, WC Clark, it wasn't uncommon for Willie Nelson or Billy Gibbons to drop by. But it was no big deal. You certainly wouldn't ask somebody for an autograph. Mostly I remember, everybody was drunk all the time. After I'd been there long enough to work up to a decent-paying chef job, I frequented some of the parties that start at midnight. The waiters and waitresses might have $200 cash in tips in their pocket, then the musicians get there around 2am, and the "dancers" around 3... Mostly I remember, everybody was drunk all the time, among other things. Certain things should not be told.

I live in Austin, and I've seen the shins and m. ward, but it's the small groups that are really great here. Probably some of the nicest musicians I've met, and some of my favorite, were river whyless, when they were touring. I caught them at dj's, downtown.

Oh, and lots of christian musicians. Chris Tomlin, Todd Agnew among the most notable. Tomlin's bassist, Jesse Reeves, lived across the street. My mom was good friends with his wife, so I got to see him a lot. The band autographed my gibson sg.

Back