need recommendations for a jazzmaster case

JTC111

I'm building a Warmoth JM and need to get a case.  Hoping to find out what fits and what's worth buying.

I just went through this, it's more troublesome than you'd think. I ended up taking the guitar into Guitar Center and physically test-fitting in all of their cases it till I found one (and ONLY one) that would fit it. The Goldilocks case ended up being a Gator, decent quality, cost $89 I think. Can't recall the model, sorry... But that'd be my advice, take the guitar in and leave with the right case.

I bought an SKB case for one of my Jazzmasters and couldn't be happier. It's a form-fitting case designed specifically for the Jaguar/Jazzmaster, so the guitar doesn't bounce around inside while travelling. They're kinda expensive, but not prohibitively so and it's a very nice case. The Gator, G&G and Hiscox cases are nice, but not quite as form-fitting.

I had hoped to buy a Fender case and did, in fact, only it didn't fit my guitar (as explained here). On Cagey's suggestion, and after a bit of internet sniffing around, I wound up going with an SKB case, which is exactly what Cagey says it is.

Aesthetically, I would prefer the trad tolex case, but for practicality (i.e. actually containing and protecting the guitar), the SKB is hard to beat IMO.

That's the one.

This past spring GC was selling them for $69 and now no longer carry them.

That's it. Not only is it an exact form-fit, it's surprisingly light (I just weighed it empty at 11.5 lbs) for as heavy-duty as it is. If you like your guitar, this would take good care of it.

Thanks all.  I was all set to order the Fender brown/gold case and then I ran across a review that said it didn't fit a Warmoth JM.  This is going to save me a big headache.

JTC111 said:
Thanks all.  I was all set to order the Fender brown/gold case and then I ran across a review that said it didn't fit a Warmoth JM.  This is going to save me a big headache.

That is exactly what I found out, and it only cost me $25 to send the Fender case back. :(

The SKB case arrived today. Still have to put the guitar together but it fits the body perfectly.  Thanks all!

Interestingly, the problem I had with the Fender case was one of length (and guitar angle, I suppose): the top 1/2" or so of the headstock would not fit into the case. No such problem with the SKB, where's there's head(stock)room a-plenty, as you'll see.

The SKB case even fits a jazzmaster with a warmoth gumby style 12 string headstock.  I think you'll be just fine.

I know this thread was resolved with the SKB, but I figured I'd follow up on my own earlier comment just for the sake of having other options specified for the next time someone goes searching. Mine is the Roadrunner RRDWE Deluxe case, and the fit is like so:

Case.jpeg

I've got my Gold JazzMaster in a Hiscox case - seems to work well enough for me, although I know some people prefer the regular rectangular shaped cases.

frown said:
I've got my Gold JazzMaster in a Hiscox case - seems to work well enough for me, although I know some people prefer the regular rectangular shaped cases.

How about a pic like the two above, so future Warmoth JM builders can see what the case possibilities look like?

Thanks for the reminder Glimmer! I had planned to take a pic this morning, but distractions, distractions!

I have Jim Dunlop Dual Design Straploks installed, which although slightly longer than normal strap buttons, do fit easily, albeit snugly!

This case is the Hiscox EJAG model: http://www.hiscoxcases.com/electric-guitar-cases.htm#std-ejag

warmoth-jazzmaster-hiscox.jpg

Back