Need amp recommendations

I just tried out a Supro Comet the other day. Was really impressed with it.
14 watts and a 10 inch speaker, once channel, one tone knob. I was amazed at the diversity of tones it got. This amp is designed to break up once you dial the volume past 12 o'clock, but easily cleans up when you dial down the guitar volume.
Other aspects that were impressive is the bottom end was astounding for a 10" speaker and the volume was surprising.
Plus you can switch it down to a six watt amp. the reverb and tremolo are impressive as hell too, and when used together and the reverb and trem depth way up it just sounds like a dream.

Now while this amp is designed to break up at mid volume, there are quite a number of their other amps that have considerably more clean headroom.

Supro is a rebirth of a long dead amp company (Valco/Supro who made amps for other companies like Airline and Gretsch), now owned and designed (or redesigned) by the same owner as Pigtronix.

Lots of love for the AxeFx here I see. I've been pretty skeptical of modeling stuff in general. I don't know exactly what it is but something about them just sounds wrong in most demos I've seen. Maybe it was just bad settings? I saw an Andertons video on YouTube awhile ago doing an A/B of amps and the kemper. I pretty much universally preferred the amp. Couldn't really describe why though other than it sounding "off".
spe111 said:
If you want Voxy tone why don't you buy a Vox?

I'd consider getting something separate for silent practice; I wouldn't buy an amp based on it having that capability unless the perfect amp otherwise just happens to have that. It's pretty easy and cheap to come by a way to amplify a guitar into headphones.
I had that thought as well. However, I think that since I don't necessarily intend to play live except jamming and maybe a small gig eventually, I live in a house with other people, and I'm still learning so I sometimes sound rather unpleasant, I feel that headphones and silent practice are a necessity.
  My problem is that the amps I've found ways to do this with usually don't sound that great to me. While it might not be the easiest option, I'd rather an amp that can both sound good and fulfill my practice/recording needs than two seperate amps of differing sound quality/features.

stratamania said:
Logrinn said:
I’ve tried them all and the one that stands out is the Tubemeister. The built in Red box makes connection to the outside (like direkt recording to a DAW) easy and more importantly - great sounding.
Another option that sounds great is the Katana series.

I would agree with that out of the options stated the Tubemeister has a lot going for it.

The modeling route is worth a look too.
Mayfly said:
Hey - just did a little research on the H&K Tubemeister.  Looks like a pretty good amp.

I managed to get the schematics for it and found that the output tube bias control is done via microprocessor!  Now that's taking things a bit far IMHO  :)
I initially was going to go for the tubemeister as well. I agree that's probably the easiest route. But I found that the cleans were kinda bland and sterile sounding to me. I've also read it doesn't take pedals very well so I'm not sure I could use a pedal or two to "fix" the cleans. Anyone have any experience with it?

Seamas said:
I just tried out a Supro Comet the other day. Was really impressed with it.
14 watts and a 10 inch speaker, once channel, one tone knob. I was amazed at the diversity of tones it got. This amp is designed to break up once you dial the volume past 12 o'clock, but easily cleans up when you dial down the guitar volume.
Other aspects that were impressive is the bottom end was astounding for a 10" speaker and the volume was surprising.
Plus you can switch it down to a six watt amp. the reverb and tremolo are impressive as hell too, and when used together and the reverb and trem depth way up it just sounds like a dream.

Now while this amp is designed to break up at mid volume, there are quite a number of their other amps that have considerably more clean headroom.

Supro is a rebirth of a long dead amp company (Valco/Supro who made amps for other companies like Airline and Gretsch), now owned and designed (or redesigned) by the same owner as Pigtronix.
That actually sounds pretty good! I actually got a banjo from my grandmother from when she was a teenager that's also by Supro. Didn't know they did amps as well.

The Aaron said:
spe111 said:
Buying digital amps is like going vegan. You can't go 30 seconds without telling someone about it.

LOL.

I'm not a crazy tone snob or anything. When it comes to guitar gear, I would categorize myself as fairly proletariat. The idea of digital gear does appeal to me, but I've yet to find anything that could replace my amps.

For me, my guitar just doesn't sound or feel right until I'm warming tubes and moving cardboard.

The other thing is, I truly believe that scrolling menus are the devil's workshop. I hate fiddly gear. I want something that sounds great the minute I turn it on, and continues to sound great no matter where I turn the knobs. I also feel like digital gear is the equivalent of cable TV: 9,000 channels, and nothing is on. I don't need 1,001 different tones, instantly recallable at the push of a button. I don't need instant access to every tone since the 50's. I need three: great clean, great OD, and great distortion.

I'm not a total Luddite. I do own the newest version of the Atomic Amplifire, the one with six buttons. It's astounding how far the tech has come. I use it to record all the time. I've performed with it too...but then I go back to my amps, and it's like my other lung starts working again.

I also own Helix FX, and it has replaced my entire pedal board. It's all I bring to gigs now. I love that that thing like a human baby.

So, for me...I love the multi-effects convenience, but only in conjunction with a simple, great sounding amp.

Getting back to the OP...you're looking for an amp that focuses mostly on clean tones, Vox flavored, for home playing, and maybe some small gigs? I'd look at a Vox AC-15. If that is too heavy for you to cart around, look at a Budda SD-18. Killer sounding amp, Voxy cleans, Vox-meets-Marshall distorted channel, and the lightest tube amp I know of.

That cable TV analogy is great, and fitting. I have a Katana 50, and while I do love the clean tones, it seems a lot of work to fiddle with the software to dial in non clean tones, even though you can save 4 at a time, but I'm tiring already of sitting in front of the laptop to scroll through the bazillion choices and combinations to discover which work best for me together. I'm thinking of selling and just getting a Vox 15, or Fender Champion, like you said, simple to use, flip a switch, and get the tone you want, and plenty of volume to play with a group, or band in a small setting.

I know I'm going against the grain, but between the Fender Champion and the Vox 15, I like the Champion:
Less than 25 Lbs: Check
12 inch Speaker: Check
Versatile Tones: Check
Solid State: Check
Price: Check

I'm with Aaron re: tube amps...I own and have used the AmplifierBox, and a very cool Roland Blues Cube Hot, but always return to a tube amp when I really want the real je ne sais quoi...the new Supros are pretty durn impressive;
at home AND for gigs I've been using a 25 watt Supro Trem-o-verb. Great clean, great dirt, reverb and trem, one 10''
speaker, and will never outlive its usefulness. Whatever you choose, enjoy the hunt and have fun! 

I picked up a Bugera V22 not too long ago and have been very pleased with it. Vox-y voicing and I put a booster in front of it to open up the top end a bit more for the surf stuff we do. It's got a great and versatile dirty channel too.

It is a beast though (just over 40 lbs) but can handle anything from bedroom to small clubs with no problem. If you're looking for a bit smaller but still with that same voice, Bugera makes a 5-watt version as well.

Rgand said:
Rick said:
You guys are advanced!  I must be a dying (analog) breed. :(

Naw, there are a good number of us who like the tube amps. I currently have a digital amp but still want to pick up a tube amp one of these days. Maybe a Peavey Classic 50 212.

I still run a Peavey Classic 50 half stack that I bought new in the mid 90's.  Still sounds great to me.

Having said that, if I were starting out today, modeling amps would be looked at.  There is no question, there is a convenience to them that other amps don't have.  Also, the built in effects are another big convenience.  I believe The Aaron mentioned something to the effect of using a Helix FX in place of his normal effects board.  Assuming one likes the sounds, it seems to make a lot of sense.

I don't have any experience with modeling amps to say one way or another as to whether or not I like them, but they do seem very interesting.

But.....I retubed my Peavey Classic 50 head a few months ago and I am in no rush to replace it.

If your primary OD will be a fuzz, you don't want a Blackface inspired circuit.  I'd go Vox/Marshall if that was going to be my primary OD.  Otherwise, I'd recommend one of the Fender Reverb amps for sure. 

@Toulouse - NOLA??  Making me have flashbacks with that username. 

I don't know, I think a strat into a big muff into a fender can sound pretty awesome.

Indeed it can. I’ve just never had luck running a fuzz into a really high headroom amp or one with a bright cap. Maybe that’s the ticket - no bright cap.

Back