Need a New Recording Interface

reluctant-builder

I followed the rule. I searched first. Got no matches on "interface" and, when I tried another search, the forum told me it was too soon after my previous search. Rather than wait it out, I figured I'd just ask.

I need a new recording interface with phantom power. I've found a bunch of potentials: M-Audio Fast Track (regular and pro), Tascam US-122 or -144 or -600 ... but, which one to buy?

The Tascams seem to have a significant number of naysayers, while M-Audio's devotees are many.

I need something that will allow me to record two things at once (vocals and guitar / bass), has phantom power for my condenser mics and, well, isn't an utterly cheap piece of crap that's built to fail.

Any suggestions -- anecdotes are welcome, too -- would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Toneport Ux2 - it's cheap, does exactly what you say, mine has lasted for I think 4 years now, and it includes POD bass, vocal pre, and guitar amp models (that can be 100% turned off in software). 2xlr inputs, phantom power, line in, out, etc. It looks cheap, but like I said mine has been bulletproof.

A friend and I got Presonus Firepod a few years back and loved it. Not sure about all their current offerings, but the one we got was solid and (according to my friend) still working great. I have no complaints about it whatsoever, and it was sturdy enough that we could haul it around campus to record different musical groups.

I've got this. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-us-1641-usb-2.0-audio-midi-computer-interface

It's actually pretty good, especially for the money though it sounds like it's got more channels than you're planning on using. If you're planning on ever tracking a band (or drums) this will do things well. I've successfully tracked 8 channels of drums + 2 guitars at once and overdubbed stuff without serious latency. That was on an average, non-recording-dedicated computer. So the hardware works alright.

It's pretty sturdy. One of the input jacks might be slightly screwed up after using it for years but what are you gonna do? I blame my bassist and his stubby fingers.

My only beef with it is that it doesn't support Linux. I had wanted to reformat my current recording computer (dedicated to recording -- no internet or games or whatnot) with Ubuntu Studio (stripped down OS without anything unnecessary for making music) to make things go faster but I couldn't. If you want Linux, stay away from Tascam. That being said, it's easy enough to get into Windows and delete parts of the OS that aren't important for sound capture to make things run faster.

Returning to the topic at hand: I recommend this piece if you want to record drums or anything more complicated. It obviously works for other stuff too.

I'm trolling for a lowball M-Audio 1010LT. Can not be beat in terms of channels for the money. By a factor of about 3x. Yeah, it's PCI. But it still works as good as it ever did back in the day. (And USB latency, while low enough, is inherently non-deterministic).

Hi ya reluctant- builder  :icon_biggrin:

The MOST IMPORTANT PART of getting analog to digital, is the Interface !!

If you are serious in this endeavour to record music, go for something good.
I suggest & highly recommend the RME Fireface 400 (Firewire)

I did start off using a Edirol UA-25EX (USB) still have, which is good too.
Which could do what you want. Plus recommend over the M-Audio stuff.
http://www.roland.com/products/en/UA-25EX/

I'm not going to list all the RME can do, here is there site.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_400.php

In iMac (not sure in windows) you can use a number of interfaces, made up as an aggregate device. (combines all interface as one)

The M Audio Profire 2626 can be found used for $300-350.  It has a reasonable build quality, firewire, 8 ins, two DI's, phantom power, supports 26 tracks at once with more hardware.  It is easy to install, and not to bad sounding.  If you want to up the ante, look at what Black Lion Audio offers for modifying units.  They become beasts after the mods.  Their site is also quite informative on why things sound/behave the way they do.  At some point my Profire will be getting the treatment.  But there always seems to be another guitar I want to build...
Patrick

tfarny said:
Toneport Ux2 - it's cheap, does exactly what you say, mine has lasted for I think 4 years now, and it includes POD bass, vocal pre, and guitar amp models (that can be 100% turned off in software). 2xlr inputs, phantom power, line in, out, etc. It looks cheap, but like I said mine has been bulletproof.

+1, Been using my UX1 for about 4 years now, and I was able to copy my license to it so now I have my metal shop pak on the pod farm in addition to the PODXT Live, so now I can copy presets from the pedal to the farm.

PCI is still the best when it comes to audio.
I'd recommend an Echo Gina3G. Plenty available used on eBay.
Nice mic pre (2) and good latency. 1.5ms or lower.

Finally scored a 1010LT. Drawing up my hex breakout board now.
1-routing.png

Back