Neck Plate required? Or can I use...

GuitarEC

I've been doing a lot of snooping around on the web and happened to run across this on Stewart-MacDonald's website:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Neck_Mounting_Ferrules.html

Can these Neck Mounting Ferrules be used in lieu of a traditional neck plate on Warmoth bodies / necks?  Has anyone used these?

Many thanks,

Eric "GuitarEC"

I haven't tried with a Warmoth, build but I do own a couple of guitars with the neck ferrule technique, seems to be as solid as a neck plate. You would have to do the counter bores yourself as Warmoth does not do this, that I know of.

They also have those ferrules at W, and they say that with their holes drilled where they are, they are a little too close to the edge.  You may have to have the neck and pocket undrilled an drill it your self.  I have an Ibanez RG that has those and it is a pretty cool look.

Jwheeler said:
They also have those ferrules at W, and they say that with their holes drilled where they are, they are a little too close to the edge.  You may have to have the neck and pocket undrilled an drill it your self.  I have an Ibanez RG that has those and it is a pretty cool look.

Can't you just use a 5/16 bit to enlarge the hole until the required depth? I mean it seriously can't be that hard to counterbore a hole!

the danger is that the ferrule holes will spill over the side of the neck heal, weakening the joint and ruining the body and neck. before sawing out my body i bought a neck plate to make sure my mesurements were right and that it wouldnt hang over the edge..sorrta the same thing

Brian

I think I read on a thread - maybe on the old board - that you could special order a body without the neck holes drilled, but don't remember if that made for any warranty issues or an upcharge....

there is a $15 upcharge for no holes in the neck, i imagine that it's another $15 for no holes in the body as well.

Brian

Back