Neck not fitting on body

koots55

So, I know that necks are supposed to be pretty tight. However, I have ordered a guitar body from warmoth, then a neck a few months later. It seems like it wont fit. I could try to jam it in there, but I'm afraid I would chip the wood. I let someone finish the body and I have a feeling they sprayed a shit ton of coats on it.

So my question is, do some bodies come from warmoth that may still need to be modified for fitting? Or are they all usually perfect? Or did my guy just put so many coats on its messing me up? Or do I just need to shove it in?

This is my first build so I just want to make sure before I start sanding it down so much just to fit the neck in.

koots55 said:
So, I know that necks are supposed to be pretty tight. However, I have ordered a guitar body from warmoth, then a neck a few months later. It seems like it wont fit. I could try to jam it in there, but I'm afraid I would chip the wood. I let someone finish the body and I have a feeling they sprayed a Shazam ton of coats on it.

So my question is, do some bodies come from warmoth that may still need to be modified for fitting? Or are they all usually perfect? Or did my guy just put so many coats on its messing me up? Or do I just need to shove it in?

This is my first build so I just want to make sure before I start sanding it down so much just to fit the neck in.

That can happen sometimes.
You don't want to force it in, that'd typically crack the finish in the "best" case scenario.

I try sanding the sides of the neck pocket a little bit, and do the same on the neck if it's an unfinished neck (or one that doesn't require a finish).
I don't have a really good technique for that though, I typically resort to sandpaper.
I add thin superglue when done to make sure the finish still has a strong bond along the edges of the neck pocket I just sanded/cleaned,
Hard to say if it's the finish of your body, it'd only be a problem if there is residue on the edges/sides of the neck pocket.

Others hopefully will have better suggestions to help you out.

Ideally, there should not be any paint in the neck pocket. So if there is that is what you need to clean out. In which case a sharp flat blade and some sandpaper glued to a flat stick should help you out.

Sit with the body on workbench or lap so the neck pocket is nearest you, and the bridge is furthest away from you.

Use a sanding black, and in single strokes working from you, away from you into the pocket sanding the walls. 
Do the same amount of strokes on each side to ensure a symmetrical fit & preserve centering.

Take your time, check your work often.  You don't want to over sand, but you don't want to under sand either. 

Your patience will pay off.

All the advice above is correct. If the fit is tight, the culprit is usually paint build up. A bit of careful sanding usually solves the issue.

always mask the pocket and effect areas of the neck.  I usually speak the FINAL coat on the entire neck after taking off the masking.

Shazam Ton, I love it!

thanks for the advice. I sanded the paint until I could see wood and now it fits in the real snug. still a little be of forcing, but it feels right.

If it's still that snug, keep sanding.  Pay attention to any tight spots so your neck pocket doesn't lose the correct angles.  You should not have to force the neck into the pocket!

Also bear in mind - and forgive me if this is something you already know - for a Strat-type pocket, you're dropping the neck heel into the pocket from above, not sliding it in parallel to the body.  Tele pockets have parallel sides so you can  - sometimes - slide the neck in (apart from substantial friction for a well-matched heel and pocket) but Strat pockets are wider at the body end and narrower at the neck end.

Bagman67 said:
Also bear in mind - and forgive me if this is something you already know - for a Strat-type pocket, you're dropping the neck heel into the pocket from above, not sliding it in parallel to the body.  Tele pockets have parallel sides so you can  - sometimes - slide the neck in (apart from substantial friction for a well-matched heel and pocket) but Strat pockets are wider at the body end and narrower at the neck end.

Adding to this, when you drop in the neck into the pocket from above, if you have to force it, you run the risk of chipping out paint at the surface around the pocket which will have you uttering expletives you never knew you had the capacity to utter.  If it doesn't go in just barely snug, keep at those single sanding strokes until it does.

Keep sanding a bit more , neck has to fit just right if it’s too snug it’s not better. Be sure to check string Alignment when you are done....masking the pocket is a lot easier. ;)

Back