n00b intro with pics of first build

Hi Spike -

Are you the same nhspike that I sold a Charvel model 2 to last year - picked up at my office in Bedford, Mass?? Black guitar with a kahler fulcrum trem and a di marzio evolution pickup?

Can't imagine there are that many spike's into charvel/jackson in your neck of the woods.

Welcome to the board.  Hope the charvel is holding up good.

Cheers,
Ciaran.

That would be me!
Good to see you!
My brother ended up with that model 2... and he loves it.
:D

You mentioned your brother was also an old school charvel nut!

Glad to hear it's doing well.

Cheers.

Ended up swapping out that neck pickup for a Duncan PA-STK1N

This is a great match with the X2N in this mahogany bodied mutt.

Couldn't be happier!

(Used the hotrails in the bridge position of my Charvel S/S/S mutt, and it reallly woke that unit up!)

Win
Win

:guitarplayer2:

Hey I know it's too little too late, but you'll never get any quack out of that guitar. Strat quack is caused by two very similar single coil pickups in parallel and a couple inches apart, which causes selective phase cancellation (not 'out of phase'). If the pickups are humbuckers, too far apart, or different in the frequencies they emphasize, it won't sound like that.
In other words, you can get it on a traditional strat, but not even on a tele, and certainly not with what you've got. But, nice guitar, does it match your Ford on purpose?

I agree, tfarny.

I've got plenty of strats, so it's not like I was really in search of the elusive duck on this one, but I didn't want a one dimensional shred/hair guitar either.

It's just nice to have three distinct tones (which it now has), with the combo position (both pickups on) displaying a very nice harmonic balance.

I will say that my Charvel Predators, with their unique 5-way switching/filtering system gets nice very nice quack with two humbuckers, spaced far apart, but they are spitting coils, adding filters, etc.

The Petrucci Ibanez I had a few months back did a coil-split to the outside coils in the middle position, and that was an interesting tone as well... not quacking like a duck, but real spanky and let's say... honky like a goose.

:D

That's a lighting trick as far as matching the vehicle (my Subaru Outback is a Brownish Metallic color).

Back