n00b intro with pics of first build

nhspike

Hey, nice forum... plenty of eye candy.
Just registered, and figured would join the fun.
Here's my first Warmoth build...
Mahogany body, 1986 Jackson USA neck, JT-6 trem, X2N bridge, Hot Rails neck.
jacksonmutt001.jpg

jacksonmutt002.jpg

jacksonmutt003.jpg

She's a player!
Happy New Year everybody!

Welcome, Nhspike!

Nice axe there, man.  Did you find your way over here from JCF?   :icon_thumright:

Thanks to all for the kind words!

Hey Doc, nice to see ya  :eek:ccasion14:

I did have to rework the neck pocket a very small amount.
Fortunately, I have access to all kinds of goodies at work for just such an emergency (bridgeport milling machines, CNC machines, etc).
I would say I ended up taking about .030" off the upper and lower pocket surfaces in order to fit the width correctly.
It's nice and snug, but not so snug as to crack down the road (hopefully).

I had a Schaller 590 trem in there at first, but opted for the JT-6 in the end, to give it more of an era-correct vibe.

:guitarplayer2:

Nice axe man, welcome to the boards!  I like the JT-6 idea, nice match for that locking nut.

Hows that Hot Rails balancing up against the X2N?

Nice work matching up the Jackson neck to the body.  Also, love the X2N!  :headbang1:

Nice guitar, man.  Love that finish.  Very streamlined controls!    Where in NH are you?  I grew up in Manchester.  Been gone a long time, but I still think fondly of the Motherland.  Ayuh.

Blue313 said:
Nice axe man, welcome to the boards!  I like the JT-6 idea, nice match for that locking nut.

Hows that Hot Rails balancing up against the X2N?

Thanks man!
Balances pretty well, but seems a bit muddy to me.
Well, that might be a bit strong of a statement... how about it's a bit dark.
Could be the mahogany body doesn't match up well with it I suppose.
I have a feeling it's going to get changed out in the future.
May go with a ballsy single coil.
:)

guitlouie said:
Nice guitar, man.  Love that finish.  Very streamlined controls!    Where in NH are you?  I grew up in Manchester.  Been gone a long time, but I still think fondly of the Motherland.  Ayuh.

Thanks again everybody, you guys are most kind to n00bs!
:toothy11:
I'm in Weare... about 25-30 minutes west of Manchvegas.
:eek:ccasion14:

nhspike said:
I wonder if even a ballsy single coil would match up against the X2N.  Hmm, maybe a Cruiser or the RG Bladerunner  :icon_scratch:

Blue313 said:
nhspike said:
I wonder if even a ballsy single coil would match up against the X2N.  Hmm, maybe a Cruiser or the RG Bladerunner  :icon_scratch:

Another thought would be the Tone Zone - S.  Since it is tuned to run in the bridge with a 250k pot and 0.047uf cap, it sounds pretty damn good in the neck on a 500k pot and 0.022uf cap.  Just a thought.  This is what I did with one of my Warmoth Soloists with an X2N in the bridge.

Doc,
That sounds like an interesting idea. Hmmm
Was thinking of a high-output single coil, and using a push/pull coil split on the X2N, since I hear that the output of the X2N when split is very single-coil-like.
Kinda hoping for a split personality, balls to the walls, and quack.
Time will tell.
I like to tinker.
:D

Mully,
They guy I bought it from called it gun metal gray, but I'm not sure that's what Warmoth called it. Thanks man! :D

nhspike said:
Doc,
That sounds like an interesting idea. Hmmm
Was thinking of a high-output single coil, and using a push/pull coil split on the X2N, since I hear that the output of the X2N when split is very single-coil-like.
Kinda hoping for a split personality, balls to the walls, and quack.
Time will tell.
I like to tinker.

Well then, quack would probably be out, unless you could wire it so that on one setting you had one coil of the X2N and one coil of the Tone Zone S together, and I believe out of phase.  :icon_scratch:

DocNrock said:
Well then, quack would probably be out, unless you could wire it so that on one setting you had one coil of the X2N and one coil of the Tone Zone S together, and I believe out of phase.   :icon_scratch:

Damn Doc, now I need a prescription for my new migraine headache.
LOL
I think I'll mess with it as is for a spell.
I lowered the X2N considerably, and raised the hotrails a bit... it actually seems pretty balanced now.
Might be closer than I thought with this combo.
Stay tuned  :glasses10:

nhspike said:
DocNrock said:
Well then, quack would probably be out, unless you could wire it so that on one setting you had one coil of the X2N and one coil of the Tone Zone S together, and I believe out of phase.   :icon_scratch:

Damn Doc, now I need a prescription for my new migraine headache.
LOL
I think I'll mess with it as is for a spell.
I lowered the X2N considerably, and raised the hotrails a bit... it actually seems pretty balanced now.
Might be closer than I thought with this combo.
Stay tuned  :glasses10:

Just take two aspirin and call me in the morning.  :laughing7:

Seriously, do you get notch quack the way it is currently set up?

DocNrock said:
Just take two aspirin and call me in the morning.  :laughing7:

Seriously, do you get notch quack the way it is currently set up?

Nope, no quack, but a nice balance of both pickups.
Sorry, still owe you that sound clip... yesterday was all about the football and nachos.

Back