My Setup...

TTU Shredder

So recently started putting together a floor setup for my guitars. So far this is what I have:

Boss TU-2
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Morley Little Alligator

Somewhere in there a Wah pedal will be added in, but I feel like besides the wah something else is missing. Anybody have any ideas?

I like flangers  - they sound cooler than chorus for cleans, IMO. Also some very light flange gives a nice effect for high gain as well. For a more old school/classic rock sound go for a phaser. A t-wah can be cool too depending on what you're playing. It really depends on the sounds you like... maybe a fuzz if you like grunge or classic tones...  just throwing idea out here....

A TS or SD-1 type for light od. Maybe a clean boost.
And a Whammy pedal.

Thanks guys that gives me alot of options to choose from.  :cool01:

Now as soon as I can get a paying gig I will be able to afford all these puppies.

Not being a Boss guy, I have no idea what they are other than the tuner. If you would identify them, I would be happy to give a opinion.

:glasses10:

RLW said:
Not being a Boss guy, I have no idea what they are other than the tuner. If you would identify them, I would be happy to give a opinion.

:glasses10:

Well the DD-7 is their newest delay pedal and the DS-1 is just a basic distortion. Other than those two and the tuner I really dont seem to care for any other type of pedal they have. Right now I am trying to figure out if i want a crybaby or vox wah pedal.

I've been a Boss user since I started.  Out of the 14 pedals I own 4 of them aren't boss.
Having said that... I'm not quite so sold on them as I used to be.  Theres only 2 things they've got out right now that I want anymore.
The GT-10 and the RT-20
top_M.jpg
top_M.jpg

If i were you I'd get an equalizer.  They're awesome. especially if you put it after distortion. but before mod effects.

i use mine as an extension of my distortion.  I've got the boss one but I think the BYOC one is probably a little better, and less money.

While you have a distortion box listed, fuzz boxes are another beast.  There are so many options from the historical designs, from the tone shape modified designs, to just the modifications to the original designs.  If you liked the sounds the Smashing Pumpkins got then you will probably want to look into a fuzz box.  Modulation effects are always fun, but are really more of a personal issue if you like the sound.  Reverb, Flanger, Phase shift, Chorus, tremolo, and vibrato.  There is also a lot of designs of these out there.  Depending on if you are a bucket brigade disciple or not the price can vary.  Compressors are always useful.  You can hear the difference immediately with just a small addition of compression.  You can over do it too if you want to. Then there are the more odd pedals like Feedback loops, bit crushers, lo fi's, ring modulators, and crossover distortions.  These tend to be not used nearly as much as the sound is rather distinct, and not really standard.  Because they are not built in high volume, they also tend to be pricy.

My biggest concern with some of the pedals is the price/use ratio.  I cannot justify paying a lot for a pedal that has limited applications.  But a Fuzz pedal I like I can pay for because I like the sound for almost everything.  This personal moral pedal price dilemma is really what got me into building my own pedals. 

I know I have missed a number of pedals in the psuedo list above, but oh well.  I also have to say I am not to keen on the all in one box thing.  I tend to spend way to much time futzing with the unit.  Then I don't play much.  Individual pedals are easier to mess with the knobs and go for me.  It is an unholy mess of cords and such, but I tend not to piss off my musician pals if I spend less time mucking with the boxes.  Some day I'll make a pedal board and clean a lot of the mess up, someday...
Patrick

Patrick

To give you an idea what you might need at a gig (are you gigging?), this is my pedal setup, not necessarily in order on the board-

Wah
Tuner
DIY BJT clean booster
DIY Ge treble booster
DIY modified DOD 250 type for slightly high gain
Modified Tube Screamer (TS-7) for light to medium od
DIY BSIAB II (Brown Sound In A Box II-a supposed Marshallish drive high gainer-LOVE it!)
DIY modified Marshall Bluesbreaker clone for medium od
Danelectro Fab Metal-for fluid high gain-best $15 I ever spent, aside from that Tijuana hooker
DIY Phase 45 clone
DIY Phase 90 clone
DIY Boss CE-2 clone (chorus)
Intellifex unit for delays and pitch shifting-also does Whamnmy type stuff though I don't use it much in my current gig
True bypass box for switching Danelectro and Intellifex in/out of the signal path.
This covers most anything I need. What you need to do is map out what sounds you need and buy (or BUILD!) pedals accordingly.

dbw said:
Dude there's no way you need that many pedals...  :eek:

Well, yes and no. I do use every one at every gig, with the possible excepton of the phase shifters, of which I usually use only one or the other. Different tunes call for different tones and different volumes, so they're all set for different amounts of dirt, different levels and such.

ildar said:
dbw said:

Well, yes and no. I do use every one at every gig, with the possible excepton of the phase shifters, of which I usually use only one or the other. Different tunes call for different tones and different volumes, so they're all set for different amounts of dirt, different levels and such.

No wonder you complain about your daughter's boyfriend referring to you as "hey man."  He probably only uses one or two pedals.  :laughing7:

dbw said:

if you're gonna make fun of him you might as well make fun of me!
heres the newest incarnation of my beastly pedalboard.
n517473612_683608_1666.jpg
n517473612_683609_2089.jpg

n517473612_683610_2883.jpg
n517473612_683611_3404.jpg

Its 48" x 18" and the top tier is 6 1/2" wide.
I'm waiting for the velco in the mail, i'll be sure to upload pics when its all decked out :p

DIY rules. If I didn't already have so many pedals I'd do it all over again DIY.

DIY does rule!!!

One thing about that pedal board (nice work, btw). If you're gigging, or even just jamming around, think about some way to make that portable. I had a similar diy board, but eventually bought a Pedaltrain with a gigbag for convenience.

DocNrock said:
ildar said:
dbw said:

No wonder you complain about your daughter's boyfriend referring to you as "hey man."  He probably only uses one or two pedals.   :laughing7:

Hey Man Dude doesn't even know what true bypass means.

Well my buddies and I are pretty serious about the band we usually invest in all the good stuff.

Our other guitarist has 2 JCM 800s and a Mode Four (one 800 is for backup) and he spend the money to get custom built airline freight cases for all 3 amps.  I think he dropped $2K on just the cases.
My plan was to get the same thing for this board. where you unlatch the lid and take it off and leave the base on the floor with all the pedals, with 2 handles on each side and wheels on one edge.  It'll cost probably around 300 dollars but its a good investment i think.

I absolutely stole the design from this guy: CLICK and he knows it, but i'm buying my velco from him so im not too worried about it.  Plus I emailed him about the velcro and sent him those pictures (mostly just to brag because he told me i might not get it right and that I should just pay him the 200 bucks to do it for me) and he was said something like " hey nice design it looks familiar ;) That'll be much stronger than mine because of the plywood, but much heavier"  .. when I read that I was pretty  :eek: because i figured he woudl've used plywood, I guess he uses density board.... amateur :toothy12:.  Mine weighs about twice as much as the one he would've made for me but its what you put on it that adds the weight.  and I dont think I'm going to notice the difference between 74lbs and 68 lbs.  ..  which is probably pretty close to what it'll weigh with al lthis stuff on it. (not all of it will go on it)
n517473612_25151_6351.jpg
n517473612_344342_5.jpg

Particle board is usually heavier than plywood in my experience.

My addition to the OP would be Fuzz.

Keep in mind, I'm a total Fuzz-Ho.

Back