my second acoustic build

rahimiiii

Well last year I decided that buying pre-made parts and painting them isn't really building a guitar so I decided to try my hands at building acoustics. My first build is like usual, fraught with perils and screwups. Well I successfully completed my first build but it still had blemishes (improperly positioned bridge so I had to reposition and that left ugly marks) My second build had perils but it works out somewhat. The second build is being done almost from scratch. That means I get a back and side set, a top set, rectangular pieces of wood that had to be cut to make braces, rectangular pieces of Sapele for necks (I ordered two so I can make heel blocks), and whatever other parts like peghead veneer and truss rods and frets and fretboard (pre-slotted) to make the guitar out of. So far I joined the back and top, bent the side, and braced the back and fabricated braces for the top. I will shape them tomorrow then glue it on. First top I thinned it too much and had to order another set from Stewmac (good thing soundboard wood is inexpensive) and routed and inlayed the rosette. I will also machine the tenon into the heel block before actually gluing it to the side, the neck will not be fabricated until the body is complete. I need the body first to fit the neck (various final dimension like heel height and stuff that could vary as I sand the side in the radius dish, and neck angle as well) . I hope this build turn out to be better than my first one. I am using bubinga as back and side and Englemann Spruce as top. I like Bubinga because it's inexpensive and it looks great (almost koa-like without the curl) and it's inexpensive but they're very hard to machine... moderately hard to bend. Neck is Sapele because they're inexpensive and not on any stupid CITES or whatever restriction. Fretboard and bridge will be ebony. I will use curly maple binding as well as tail wedge. Here are a few pictures... I am sorry I don't have more pictures of the process... I get busy enough working.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Nice!  I've been thinking of doing this myself.  Is the go-bar setup necessary for good adhesion?

Blue313 said:
Nice!  I've been thinking of doing this myself.  Is the go-bar setup necessary for good adhesion?

not really, but it will make gluing braces and closing the box a hell lot easier. You can use cam clamps and radiused caul if you like but it will take you forever to glue on the braces... with go bar you can do it under 30 minutes (not including dry time of course)

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
I wanna build an acoustic, looks challenging.
They are, but it will give you the chop to do a lot of things, especially when you learn to do some repairs (like when you mess up). Once you can do an acoustic building solid body electrics from scratch will be cakewalk. Of course Warmoth takes a hit because you wouldn't be paying Warmoth 300+ for them to make you a body or a neck... unless of course you buy the body and neck blanks and other supplies from Warmoth...

Hey man did you use one of those StewMac kits?  I have been kicking around a mandolin project from them...... Since that would be the ONLY way I could get a left handed mandolin........  I'd also like to build a 6 string banjo.  A buddy of mine has one it is strung just like a guitar, I always wanted to play it, but he is right handed (of course)  I was just curious of the quality of the kits they sell.

theklanch said:
Hey man did you use one of those StewMac kits?  I have been kicking around a mandolin project from them...... Since that would be the ONLY way I could get a left handed mandolin........  I'd also like to build a 6 string banjo.  A buddy of mine has one it is strung just like a guitar, I always wanted to play it, but he is right handed (of course)  I was just curious of the quality of the kits they sell.

Lefty mandolins don't exist? That's strange.

Edit for on topic: That's amazing, building an acoustic, my hat is off to you sir.

rahimiiii said:
Neck is Sapele because they're inexpensive and not on any stupid CITES or whatever restriction.

I think you'll find that the "stupid" part is irresponsive and unrestricted butchering of whe world's forests, not the other way around. Sapele is responsibly harvested with new trees planted in the process, if I understand things right.

But it's very cool that you're building your own acoustic! That must be the hardest thing any guitar builder sets out to do.

I so wanna build one too, I have EVERY book ever written (probably not all, but a big stack) on how to build guitars.

The guitar shop (man Cave) is getting built in the backyard this year... :hello2:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now you are talking.
One of these days I'm going walk down this path, you are will to have to keep the pictures coming to inspire us all.  Maybe you wind up at the Healdsburg Guitar Builder Festival along with all the other high-end custom acoustic builders. There is some out of control stuff going on there.

No it's NOT a stewmac kit. It's an unserviced kit from LMI (the only service performed is slotted/radiused fretboard, I do not have an effective way of doing it myself and it only costs very little for LMI to do the service). That means all I get is rectangular pieces of wood for braces, necks, bridge, a pair of bookmatched pieces of stika spruce, a pair of bookmatched pieces of back (in this case bubinga) and a pair of bookmatched side that are rectangular and not bent. If you have never built an acoustic before get the stewmac kit or at least serviced LMI kit. The stewmac/serviced LMI kit has pre bent side, neck and braces and bridge are pre shaped as well. I must warn you though that when building the first guitar you are likely to spend slightly over the cost of a really good acoustic from Martin or Taylor, because you need to purchase some rather specialized tools or at least make them yourself. If you're a real handyman you should be able to avoid buying expensive tools from Stewmac. I'd recommend that you start slow though and build up as you go along. For example I started with saga kits then worked to unpainted Warmoth parts then re-fretted a beater and donated that. Then I bought a "serviced" kit from LMI (bent side, pre made braces and the plates are jointed and profiled, this time I had to do all of that myself and I wasted a top set because I planed it too thin! better too thick than too thin because the top needs to withstand string tension) but I didn't buy a pre made neck because they cost like $150 so instead I bought a martin neck for $50 shipped from Ebay. This time I'd rather make the neck myself because I had a heck of a time fitting a truss rod into the channel and I like the Martin truss rod (because it's shallow unlike Stewmac Hot Rod truss rod which is too deep). Once you get the hang of it though it will be VERY addictive!

With the stewmac kit you will still need to install the truss rod, profile the fretboard, install inlay and frets and glue the fretboard to the neck, then of course you need to glue on the braces and level the kerfed lining and close the box. I really recommend that anyone who wishes to attempt this kit to do lots and lots of reading. Also be mindful of the humidity of your "shop" (or room/garage). Electric guitar bodies and neck are not that sensitive to changes in humidity but acoustic guitar back, top, and sides are VERY sensitive to changes in humidity! When you get your kit be sure to make a form (you trace the shape of the guitar onto a piece of plywood and cut them out... you might want to watch Robert O Brien's DVD on instructions to make this) and clamp your side into the form or else they may spring back! Also take the top and back and sticker them (place little pieces of wood stick on a table, place your top on that then more sticks and then the back) then place weights on top of them (but don't like put a car on top of that! you get my drift), and let the piece sit for about 2 months to allow the pieces to acclimate to your environment. If you don't do that the wood will warp and you will have more things to complain about! Also wait for better days (sunny) before gluing on the braces.

Tonar8353 said:
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now you are talking.
One of these days I'm going walk down this path, you are will to have to keep the pictures coming to inspire us all.  Maybe you wind up at the Healdsburg Guitar Builder Festival along with all the other high-end custom acoustic builders. There is some out of control stuff going on there.
You're so good at woodworking and finishing I'm surprised that you haven't.  Just do it Tonar!!!!!

Back