My scratch build(s) - no Warmoth content

djf67

I've had a few days off so have been working on a scratch build as a surprise for my brother's 40th.
Body is korina, which I'm going to give thinline-ish chambering then a quilt top with black/orange dye.
I've even found a neck with a headstock that matches the horn shapes.
Quilt is from Woodbay. The one on the right is 5/8" thick and was under $50!

body4rot.jpg

korinashape2.jpg

korinashape1.jpg

dcp_1479_crop.jpg

Did you use a jigsaw to cut that body out? I'm seeing what look like little burn spots. I did that once, with mixed results... yours looks better than mine did (if that is what you did at all)

Thanks, guys.

BigBeard, sexy quilt is from Woodbay - http://stores.ebay.com/Woodbay-Company. Fraser Valley has some nice stuff, too - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fraser-Valley-Fine-Woods
It's mot entirely altruistic - I've got a mahogany blank, a basswood blank and the second quilt top...

Nathana, I cut approx outline with a template guide bush, then trimmed the edge in one pass with a 2" panel trimmer with the body upside down so the template is furthest from the router. A couple of skips doing this led to a few scorches. I'm going to paint the back so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks guys.
Moved the project forward a little.

chambered.jpg

Body planed down to thickness for the top, chambers routed out and bumpy edge slowly but surely filled and smoothed. As you can probably see, my el cheapo router started  playing up and dropped the bit whilst routing both chambers. The mess in the lower one (on right) will be where the rear access cover will go so won't show. I've invested in a better router...
Next steps are fit the top, cut the top to shape, rout the pus and neck, ovolo the front and rear, etc, etc...

(edit for typos)

Bit more progress over the weekend. Looking like a guitar now. New router fantastic compared to the old hippocrocopig.

neckrouted.jpg

toprouted2.jpg

It's chambered a bit like a thinline so there's not enough wood for more than a decent edge rounding (~1/2 inch). The 'forearm cut' area on the front is actually quite a bit smaller than a strat so should be reasonably comfortable under the arm and the 'waist' is consequently lower so should be okay without tummy cut - like an LP. That's the plan anyway. I have cut a basswood body that I'm going to leave solid and try out some contouring. Spokeshave at the ready!
My mahogany blank is going to become an Explorer/Iceman hybrid (like Ibanez have done at some point but I can't find any pix!) with my other quilt top and maybe a laminate centre. Or not.

Lots of sanding and filling of the unsatisfactory bumpy edge - lesson 74: take more care with the template.
Been on hols but lots more progress today, for those intested.
Redone the neck pocket to correct depth.
Cut the control access hole and recessed cover.
Ovoloed front and rear - really brings a slab of wood to life as a gee-tar!

ovolo1.jpg

ovolo2.jpg

And on the ice-explorer front, have the shape ready for template cutting and some unsuspecting mahogany, QM top and a fancy centre splice idea planned.

Back