My Roasted Soloist Eagle

Rgand and BigSteve22 -

Thank you both very much! Fast, excellent timing!

I'm concerned about the wood cracking because the back of the neck is roasted maple (and the guitar body is roasted alder as well). Any process on that I should know?

I like to tap mine just deep enough that they screw in easily and start getting snug at the last thread. I check this with one of the inserts that has had the adhesive cleaned off. Then when I screw in a new insert, the adhesive (you can just see some red around the holes) keeps them in solid.

I'm not sure exactly how you would do it with the 5/16-16 threads. At any rate, I'd not screw them in if they're too tight. Steve will probably get back to you on this.

I've never done this on a roasted neck, in fact the roasted maple neck for my current build is currently in Cagey's capable hands. What I do, using knowledge I also acquired from Kevin, and using type 400 inserts, is use a 1/4" forstner bit to drill the holes, and then thread them with the 5/16"-16 tap. (Note that the external thread on type 400 inserts is 5/16"-16 instead of 5/16"-18.) This ensures a snug fit, and also makes up for the fact that the barrel of the insert is 1/4" by expanding the hole to fit the threads. In normal maple, the threads will generally drive firmly into the threaded holes, but as I said, I've never done this on roasted.....

Zoe is a lovely young woman, and I agree her contribution is extremely valuable.  What can make a papa prouder than having his progeny involved in his creation of new art?  You're a lucky man.

Rgand and BigSteve22 - Thank you again! Yeah, I'm leaving it off my list to do while I work on the other stuff - same mentality with me. Sounds like I need a better hole and a better hole dug-out.

Bagman67 - Thank you! My vision was to have all five of my kids contribute. She's not a music person, but it worked! Last one Luke will be jamming... soon! :)

muns53 said:
OuwMwJD.jpg

WOW!!!! :eek:

Back