my kind of "hope and change"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marko said:
it will mostly come down to 'give us the land back that you took many centuries ago'.

This is true in islam's case as well... israel of course the big kahuna, al andalus, etc...

Alright, after reading over all the arguments again (and being *very* patient), I have a few statements to make:

- those who have been using Christianity as a prop for their arguments obviously know nothing about the religion, as there have been statements/commandments attributed to christ which don't exist.

Regardless:

- using Christianity as a prop for your argument is irrelevant.  The religion in question here is islam, not christianity... and the teachings of christ are most certainly not responsible for the islamic terrorist acts; muslims receive their instructions from the koran and the teachings of mohammed.  And christians are not responsible for muslims' actions.  Therefore, using christianity is simply a "hide eyes to/avoid what islam is/has been doing, and point the finger at christianity" (a common sight in these kinds of debates)... all you are doing is avoiding discussing the topic at hand.  If you want to discuss various aspects of christianity and how christians may/may not interpret their texts, that's a subject for a different debate.

Please stick to the subject instead of following the rabbit trail... I will no longer humor those who use christianity in their arguments.

Lucky #007 said:
Merely because an extreme group of believers remain does not mean that they determine who is a believer and who is not.  Quite frankly, the reality is that the most common interpretation is the prevailing interpretation.  In this case it is not the extreme interpretation that is prevailing.

Makes sense, but when the actual religious "instruction book" states thusly:

[49:15] The true believers are those that have faith in Allah and His apostle, and never doubt; and who fight with their wealth and with their persons in the cause of Allah. Such are those whose faith is true.

...your statement is incorrect.

+1 more. I'm a pretty tolerant guy, and my friends all have differences, whether religious, racial, sexuality, interests, or otherwise. I can get along with them because I don't lower myself to grouping the religions by other people's actions, the races by stereotypes and jokes, the sexuality with promiscuity, or the political with the person's worth or knowledge. By doing that, I have all the proof I need to ignore the stereotyping and intolerance I'm seeing here.

dbw said:
Your intolerance is disgusting, SL.  I'm not reading this thread any more.

That's fine... and you, tfarny and max can go on tolerating all the headcutting, suicide bombings and honor killings done in the name of allah.   :icon_biggrin:

I'm obviously VERY late to the party, but that doesn't mean it's so late I can't take a few shots and end up over the toilet yet.

The extremists are not literalists. They look like them; they smell like them...but they aren't. Generalizing the entire religion as one of violence, hate, and bigotry, while showing your true colors as a Christian apologist is the exemplification of intellectual dishonesty.

Let's take a look:

"[48:29] Muhammad is Allah's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another."

The extremists blow each other up. They blow up Muslim women and children. They blow up moderate Muslims. More plainly, they blow up people who follow Muhammad as Allah's apostle, in clear violation of this verse. There are going to be inherent paradoxes and impossibilities when trying to literally follow ANY holy book. This is not one of them. This is an easy one to follow. But they don't. That makes them cherry pickers just as much as the moderate Muslims, all Christians, Jews, et al.

You either follow the book, or you follow your idea of what the book says; there is no middle ground, no gray area. It's black or white.

Yes, these extremists are horrible, delusional people. But they are no more literalists than moderate Muslims...they just base their beliefs around different aspects of their book. Do the moderates allow the existence and proliferation of the extremists? Of course! But there are, of course, other underlying issues to be dealt with...the problem isn't the religion itself, as not all who follow it (or even particularly many) are outwardly violent people.

I didn't entered on this topic since page 2 because i had the feeling things would be turning on this way (haven't read it enterely, but have a idea)...
Thing that's time to solve that kind of problem, this forum is about guitars... only, the rest is OFFTOPIC and shall be healthy and friendly...

There are some good people of this forum leaving and I think this shall be reviewed by the moderators or the forum will sink...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back