My "Goldtop" LP

MFTech

I know it's not very original & probably somewhat boring...  BUT, is exactly what I wanted.    A goldtop LP with P90s, a Bigsby, & a 25.5" scale length.     I couldn't be happier with the results.    I set the neck angle so that a non-tension bar Bigsby could be used.     The action of bar is smooth & it stays in tune.    Lollar P90s sound incredible in this baby.    The guys at Warmoth did a great job on the finishing, as usual.

Attachments

• warmothLPsmall.jpg
    warmothLPsmall.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1,947
Sir? SchmoopY said:
the finish looks great, can we see the rest? i e is the back natural.

Sure... I'll add some pics when I get a chance.    The back of the body & neck are mahogany finished in clear gloss.

Here ya go... I recessed neck screw bushings into the body which I think i like better than a 4-bolt plate.

http://russosmusic.20m.com/warmothpics.jpg

Good gravy, that looks great.  I do believe I'd rather have that right there than anything Gibson is turning out these days.

guitlouie said:
Good gravy, that looks great.  I do believe I'd rather have that right there than anything Gibson is turning out these days.
In all honesty, it is a better playing, better sounding, & more stable instrument than my Gibson LP Standard.

I've played a few Gibson Les Pauls.  Only owned a Gibson SG though.  My Warmoth Les Paul build smokes them all so far.  There's just something about the compound radius 25.5" scale that I just love.  Even for a bolt on, mine sustains quite nicely too.  I'm really diggin those Lolar P-90's on your goldtop...sweet eye candy there.  My LP is the black "John Sykes" thank somewhere else on this thread.

WOW!  :eek:

I would sell my left testicle for that guitar... it is truly stunning. *adds to must build list*.

How do you find the neck angle on the LP body? One thing I always liked on set necks is the angle of the neck to the body.

I find I say this so much on this board. I usually don't like Goldtops, but I like this a lot. I think it is the white binding and white pickups, instead of the creme coloured ones, with no pickguard and Bigsby. Makes it look nice and classy.
The other thing I don't like about Goldtops is when they get faded and go that grey/green look. I dislike that very much.

The pickups and binding looks creme to me!?

Funny, I have never seen goldtops go grey/green, thats normally a silverburst affliction.

This must be something like the 20th time I've looked at this guitar since posting originally. So damn nice.

Maybe I'm just calling it the wrong colour. This is creme to me
1954%20goldtop%20reissue.jpg

and here is an example of the goldtop going grey/green. You can see it in the top left corner, but I have seen it much worse on the two old goldtops I have seen in person
C52GTT.JPG

Ted said:
WOW!  :eek:

I would sell my left testicle for that guitar... it is truly stunning. *adds to must build list*.

How do you find the neck angle on the LP body? One thing I always liked on set necks is the angle of the neck to the body.

I had them angle the neck pocket at the max pitch they can do... Only needed to shim it a bit more to get the angle I needed for the Bigsby.  It's set up much like a Gretsch Duo-Jet.    Still feels very Gibson though...  the '59 neck contour & 12" radius feels just right.

Cool!

I also ordered a Gold LP from Warmoth - should be getting it the beginning of April (I hope) - - except mid way through designing it I decided to not go for a total Gibson style.

mine is going to look like this:

mwgt.jpg

The back is trans-red on mahogany. I've never cared for inlays so I skipped them, but got binding on the neck. SD Custom and SD Jazz pick ups. Planet Waves tuners and I'm thinking of using push pull pots for split/phase etc...

Back