My "Goldtop" LP

I love your guitar! I'm so happy to see a goldtop here - now I'm sure mine is going to look just how I want it. :hello2:

Just a small thing I noticed. Do you have a reason for where you put the strap pegs?

GoDrex said:
I love your guitar! I'm so happy to see a goldtop here - now I'm sure mine is going to look just how I want it. :hello2:

Just a small thing I noticed. Do you have a reason for where you put the strap pegs?

Congrats on the GT... I bet you're going to love it.    I was going to bind the neck as well, but wanted to keep costs under control.    I had a Gibson LP at one time that had a strap button on the back of the heel.  I found I liked the using the back strap button better than the one on the upper bout.  Guitar hangs very balanced.    Since I didn't use a neck plate, it was convenient to just put it there.     

Ted, I'd gladly pay your left nut for that guitar, too!  :icon_jokercolor:
What a beauty. Recent posts have given my bigsby envy - W #4?
I really wish W supported Bigsby products, but they don't look that hard to mount.

Hey , looks bitchen, How do you like the bigsby? I have always liked that setup, but have always wondered how well it works dragging the strings across that bridge. does it seem to stay in tune? I know the bigsby isn't intended for big EVH divebombs, but generally does it seem to stay in tune?

I'm hoping for a yes reply here

Alfang said:
Hey , looks bitchen, How do you like the bigsby? I have always liked that setup, but have always wondered how well it works dragging the strings across that bridge. does it seem to stay in tune? I know the bigsby isn't intended for big EVH divebombs, but generally does it seem to stay in tune?

Yea, I love the Bigsby...  Great for subtle chord vibrato & such.    It stays in tune excellent if set up correctly.    (the ones without the tension bar are best)  The key is that the wound strings DO NOT slide over the bridge when using the bar.    A modern tunematic bridge works great if you just lightly notch the saddles.      The string will stay stable & the bar will just vary the tension of the string.    Also, having a little play at the bridge studs really helps as the bridge will rock a bit when using the trem.      (It was Leo's idea with the Jazzmaster, although that is far from a good example!)      I've never had much luck with roller bridges...  the rollers get dirty & drag,  they freeze up, they buzz.    I had one on my Gretsch & it was a constant headache.    Changed it to a tunematic & problems were all but gone.    The other part of the equation is the nut...  opposite story here.    You want no binding at all.    Just a cleanly cut slot with a touch of graphite.    You want the string to slide over nut with ease.   

I'd LOVE to attempt a build like this, but I don't think I would be able to do it without a luthiers help!

1. I'm scared of the Bigsby

2. Your note about shimming it and neck angles scares me even more.... :dontknow:

I've always wanted a Gold Top they're so nice.

MFTech - would you be able to take a quick photo if the side profile of the guitar so we can see the neck angle compared to the body more clearly?

Thanks, Ted  :icon_thumright:

MFTech said:
Alfang said:

Yea, I love the Bigsby...  Great for subtle chord vibrato & such.    It stays in tune excellent if set up correctly.    (the ones without the tension bar are best)  The key is that the wound strings DO NOT slide over the bridge when using the bar.    A modern tunematic bridge works great if you just lightly notch the saddles.      The string will stay stable & the bar will just vary the tension of the string.    Also, having a little play at the bridge studs really helps as the bridge will rock a bit when using the trem.      (It was Leo's idea with the Jazzmaster, although that is far from a good example!)      I've never had much luck with roller bridges...  the rollers get dirty & drag,  they freeze up, they buzz.    I had one on my Gretsch & it was a constant headache.    Changed it to a tunematic & problems were all but gone.    The other part of the equation is the nut...  opposite story here.    You want no binding at all.    Just a cleanly cut slot with a touch of graphite.    You want the string to slide over nut with ease.   

Would you say it's more or less stable than a well set-up Strat trem?

Very nice GT!  Nothing wrong with the Classic Les Paul look, it's my personal fav.  Getting ready to build 2 myself, one for me and a lefty for my son.  Actually toying with the idea to get the 2 guitars as close to identical as possible.  Would be kind of cool to have father/son mirror image LPs.

BT

riverbluff said:
Very nice GT!  Nothing wrong with the Classic Les Paul look, it's my personal fav.  Getting ready to build 2 myself, one for me and a lefty for my son.  Actually toying with the idea to get the 2 guitars as close to identical as possible.  Would be kind of cool to have father/son mirror image LPs.

BT

That's a really cool idea.

dbw said:
MFTech said:
Alfang said:

Yea, I love the Bigsby...  Great for subtle chord vibrato & such.     It stays in tune excellent if set up correctly.    (the ones without the tension bar are best)  The key is that the wound strings DO NOT slide over the bridge when using the bar.     A modern tunematic bridge works great if you just lightly notch the saddles.      The string will stay stable & the bar will just vary the tension of the string.    Also, having a little play at the bridge studs really helps as the bridge will rock a bit when using the trem.      (It was Leo's idea with the Jazzmaster, although that is far from a good example!)      I've never had much luck with roller bridges...   the rollers get dirty & drag,  they freeze up, they buzz.    I had one on my Gretsch & it was a constant headache.     Changed it to a tunematic & problems were all but gone.     The other part of the equation is the nut...  opposite story here.    You want no binding at all.    Just a cleanly cut slot with a touch of graphite.    You want the string to slide over nut with ease.     

Would you say it's more or less stable than a well set-up Strat trem?

The Bigsby is more stable in the sense that the bridge doesn't move around on you like a floating trem when playing hard, bending, & such.  Actually feels more like a hardtail.    But..  would say the Fender 2-point "stays in tune" better overall when using the bar extensively.    They are just two different animals...  Seems that rock & blues players tend to favor Fender type bridges.    The "retro" guys playing Americano pop/rock, Rockabilly, Jazz, etc.  like the Bigby. 

i have always loved the look of the goldtop. but warmoth only seems to offer their goldtop finish sprayed all oever the body. yikes!! did you hace someone else finish the guitar for you or dod warmoth finally see that LPs aren't supposd to be painted the same color on the back and sides?

that isn't true - Warmoth is doing mine with a gold top, cream binding and trans-red finish on the back and sides. You just have to specify how you want it and they'll do it for you.

Man that is stunning.....I've always like the LP gold tops, that looks fabulous..... :headbang1:

GoDrex said:
that isn't true - Warmoth is doing mine with a gold top, cream binding and trans-red finish on the back and sides. You just have to specify how you want it and they'll do it for you.

I am sure I speak for all of us, we wanna see that one!

Yeah I can't wait to see it too. I'm hoping for mid to late April. I guess by sometime in May I'll have it completed - I hope anyway.

Back