My First Warmoth: VIP Hollowbody

McGuyver

So this is my first foray into Warmoths, and I must say I'm quite excited for the end result.  For a little bit of background on myself: I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now along with drums since 2000.  I was inspired by Trey Anastasio of Phish to get up out my seat and start shaking my ass like I've always wanted to; plus I'd always wanted to be involved with the tonal aspect of writing.  Okay, enough bs no one wants to read!

My current guitar is a Cort M800 which is technically a full hollowbody, even though it's got a decent size wood block from the neck joint to the bottom of the neck pick-up (not the bottom of the guitar, though!).  It's a pretty nice guitar, I love the cavity mostly.  However, the neck is really too thin for me, and it can stress my hand quickly if I'm doing some jazzier chords down low.

34036_10150197407625531_1652664_n.jpg

It's pretty much a PRS copy with a few things moved around, but it's a three piece body, so no shaped or braced sides.

TLDR; Skip to here

I unfortunately had my original Ibanez and a not even year-old Strat stolen from my household, so this guitar was meant to replace those, and also be my new main.

Without any further adieu:

432101_10152868582520531_1637824004_n.jpg

Warmoth VIP - DL Koa on Alder, Unique Choice.  24 Fret rerout, H-X-H, Set up for Tune-o-Matic.
The Picture really doesn't do that Koa top its due justice.
941417_10152868582495531_370899708_n.jpg

Black binding on the Alder body.  I wanted to go with Black over the natural masked because the Koa was such a rich spread, I wanted a nice black line to outline the top, I think it came out great.  I have no idea if Warmoth was trying to match the shades of the Alder and Koa, but they sure do look great together.
983853_10152868582515531_964528882_n.jpg

Ebony (Normal, non-unique choice) Fretboard, 6150 Nickel Frets, 24 Frets, Pearloid Diamond inlays
923314_10152868582775531_1764799027_n.jpg

Back of the neck, loving it.

So unfortunately I have no luthier skills what-so-ever and I'm really not too keen on diving in headfirst to a semi-hollow VIP build.  Alas, I must wait a few more weeks until my Luthier can piece her together and bestow my axe of glory upon me.

I'll post the finished product or any update pictures as soon as I can!

Holly McGuyver  :eek:

Just Wow  :icon_thumright: ........ followed by lots of dribble 
smiley-excited002.gif

Yeah, I'm really excited for my first Warmoth  :guitarplayer2:

So many changes from my current guitar that will be a massive improvement for my playing, can't wait to get on that '59 neck and 24 frets!!!

Absolutely STUNNING top! Some gold or black hardware would really set that off right! :laughing7: Can't wait to see it completed!

ThtOthrPrsn said:
Absolutely STUNNING top! Some gold or black hardware would really set that off right! :laughing7: Can't wait to see it completed!

I actually went with black hardware ^^

Black saddle/tailpiece, black pick-up covers (chrome-covered 59s), black knobs :) ,  Though I did decide to stick with nickel tuning pegs and a chrome neck plate, I like to design them separately between the neck and body  :rock-on:

Definitely let out a "Whoa." when I saw that body - very sorry to hear about your luck but talk about consolation prizes.  :icon_thumright:

I know I'm impressed. And envious.

The black hardware is going to look great on there. I would suggest you be consistent about it, though. Mixing in chrome anywhere is going to be jarring. Plus, you've got a Maple headstock. Black tuners will contrast with that nicely while complementing the Ebony.

That's gonna be SEXAAYYYY :icon_biggrin: But I'm with cagey on the tuners and such. The black tuners would be a perfect contrast to the maple, but it's your build, so it's whatever you see fit. No doubt it'll be awesome either way!

I don't usually mind "mixed" hardware, but I'm a liberal*.... even with all black, the strings and frets are "chrome", and even with all-chrome the pickups, switch tips, knobs and fingerboard dots are often black, unless they're not. Intentionally-mixed gold/chrome usually looks better to me than all-gold - unless it doesn't. DO NOT ask me about pink, slime green & other 80's affectations.

Did you get a fat neck? The reflection hints at a boat, which is the all-time mother of all that is great.

*(except on the other stuff.)

That's badass! It'll look killer with black hardware and I say if you like the nickel or chrome tuners then go for it. No one will say anything about it once it is all assembled.

I got a 59 neck on it, my Cort was too thin, my Epiphone acoustic was too thick, but the Ibanez Artcore (a friend's which was the same model as mine was)  was juuuuust right.

Back