My first Warmoth project

aizenx

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, but I thought I would share.  (By the way, thanks for posting all of your vast knowledge, which really helped me decide what direction to go on this one :) )

I'm planning on making a nylon-stringed strat with a graphtech system for the electronics.  I always wanted one, but never got around to buying/making it.  I decided, why not make it a fun Warmoth project?  It's going to have a Carvin neck, Warmoth chambered strat body, brownshell pickguard, graphtech ghost pickups, and the typical hardware.  Going to finish it in tru-oil, as I actually love the clear finish it gives to flame maple and other woods. 

Body (out of the box and onto the couch):
dsc02422p.jpg

Neck: (with Kanji decals - good tip from another forumite  :icon_thumright: )
neckm.jpg

Anyways,
Thanks for looking.

you picked some AMAZING flame on these pieces. I really like the different headstock. I wish more strat styles had 3+3...

Thanks guys :)  Yeah, the body was actually from the sale that Warmoth had going on, one of two left! (I picked the more flamed one).  I gotta say, I'm very impressed with Warmoth's quality, just really worth the price! 

I thought the 3x3 headstock was a cool addition, since it will be a more classical style guitar.  I love traditional strat headstocks, but for this project the 3x3 just seemed to fit. 

I'll post updates as the project develops.

-Mike-

I would like to know what tuners and bridge you will be using for the nylon strings.  I think it will look amazing and unique once finished.

Gonna be using a Carvin hardtail bridge (FT6), but I'll be replacing the saddles with the GraphTech's.  I'll need to drill some larger string-thru holes to compensate for the pre-drilled vintage route, but that should be easy, as I've done it with other projects.  As far as tuners go, I have some standard 3x3's that I'm going to try first, but if they are problematic (i.e. the tuning ratio doesn't work too well w/ the nylons) then I'll get some higher (or lower? - whichever requires less turns lol) ratio one's. 

"As far as tuners go, I have some standard 3x3's that I'm going to try first, but if they are problematic (i.e. the tuning ratio doesn't work too well w/ the nylons) then I'll get some higher (or lower? - whichever requires less turns lol) ratio one's. "

Perhaps the best tuners for the job are Sperzel Sound-Lok with open gears at the back.  Most metal shaft tuners are not suitable for nylon strings but these Sperzels are actually designed with nylon strings in mind.  Sadowsky's nylon string Tele uses them with excellent results as far as tuning stability and ratio are concerned.

A nice foundation for what should prove to be a purdy instrument - keep the progress pics coming 
icon_wink.gif

Thanks guys....

Here's another update w/ the 4th coat.  She's startin' to fill in.  Not too sure how many more I'm gonna do, as I'm starting to really like the color at this point.  And yeah, I have to agree with a lot of guys here, Tru Oil is just awesome to work with:

dsc02443l.jpg

aizenx said:
Thanks guys....

Here's another update w/ the 4th coat.  She's startin' to fill in.  Not too sure how many more I'm gonna do, as I'm starting to really like the color at this point.  And yeah, I have to agree with a lot of guys here, Tru Oil is just awesome to work with:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8360/dsc02443l.jpg

That is awesome. It looks so natural and nekkid, I love it.

Thanks guys :)

Ok, final coats are done.  Now I'm just letting it cure.  So in less than a week I should have it assembled with pics, and maybe a clip of how it sounds if all goes well. 

T50 said:
Cool stuff!
The chinese characters on the head stock look really cool.

its actually Japanese
not trying to make a big deal, but there is a difference

nice guitar btw  :headbang:

Alrighty guys, she's done!  Plays and sounds amazing...just was I was looking for.  Probably gonna change out the tuners later on, but for now they're working just fine (might go w/ some sperzels). Anyways, here are some pix and a clip of what she sounds like.  Enjoy and thanks for all the nice comments:  :toothy10:

Sound clip:
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/82-Nylon_Fingerpicking.mp3

dsc02457.jpg

dsc02458t.jpg

dsc02461xf.jpg

(Pre-strap buttons)
dsc02465.jpg

(Pre strap buttons and before I screwed down the pickguard and jack)
dsc02462.jpg

dsc02463iy.jpg

Man, I'm really liking that. Extremely simple, and I love the wood knob on the blank tortoise.

Back