My first Warmoth project

It's  weird...
It's  wild...
It's  unusual....
It just goes to prove (once again) that the only limiting factor is something called fantasy (or more likely the lack of it)  :blob7: :hello2: :cool01: :hello2: :blob7:

I just have to call it one of the most amazing looking/sounding projects I've seen. Personally, I am not into classical guitar, mostly because I've never learned it and, being in the late fifties, feeling a bit too old for starting to get all my fingers into the shape needed (they've been through too much already).

But the thought of entering a stage with what everybody sees as another electric guitar, and then......  :laughing7:  :laughing11: :laughing7:

Love it
Arne

arnew said:
It's  weird...
It's  wild...
It's  unusual....
It just goes to prove (once again) that the only limiting factor is something called fantasy (or more likely the lack of it)  :blob7: :hello2: :cool01: :hello2: :blob7:

I just have to call it one of the most amazing looking/sounding projects I've seen. Personally, I am not into classical guitar, mostly because I've never learned it and, being in the late fifties, feeling a bit too old for starting to get all my fingers into the shape needed (they've been through too much already).

But the thought of entering a stage with what everybody sees as another electric guitar, and then......  :laughing7:  :laughing11: :laughing7:

Love it
Arne

Totally agreed!
Very inspiring project.
Been listening to that soundclip over and over again.

Keep us updated about what tuningmachines you end up  with.

Ivar

I've just joined this forum, and this is my first chance to see some of the amazing projects people are working on.

This nylon strung Strat is an amazing and unique guitar project.  Your playing is wonderful.  And this guitar is an inspiration to anyone who sees it.  Great work!

How do you pronounce that kanji, and what does it mean?

Can help but think that this style of acoustic guitar would be a great match with a carved tele body with a couple of f-holes. 

Cheers,
Aerocaster

Yeah, this is a necropost, but I found this thread while looking at the Out of the Box forum list and ... holy hell. Amazing. I am so bloody impressed. The playing is superb and the thing sounds beautiful. It looks gorgeous, too.

Did you mention what the Kanji characters mean? I didn't see a definition anywhere. I admit, I didn't read too closely; I was distracted by the sights and sounds. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the kind words guys!  :glasses10:

To be honest, I didn't know what the kanji meant when I put it on there, I just picked the characters that I thought would look best together based on the template I had.  I wonder if someone could translate it for us? 

I just looked them up - not sure what the first character means, but the second character means woman, and I think the third character means water.  :icon_biggrin:

The first symbol is not Kanji, but is the Japanese Katakana character for the long "e" sound. The second symbol is the Kanji for "woman" or "female" as you mentioned. The third is the Kanji for long, lengthy, & eternity.

And, I love it! It's an awesome build, and a beautiful guitar with great sound!  :rock-on:

And you got me thinkin too!!!  :icon_scratch::-\ :sad1: ??? :sign13: :laughing7:  Thanks!!!

aizenx,
You mentioned you recommended we use the pre-amp, so I assume you did on this build. If so, did you wire it stereo or mono? ???

I just used the standard wiring for the pre-amp, found here: http://www.graphtech.com/fckeditor/userfiles/File/AcousticPotQSjack(3).pdf

I believe it allows for stereo (by detection), but I just use a standard guitar cable and love the sound, so I'm not to worried about going stereo. 

Edit:  Ignore the "magnetic" references, since I used the piezo exclusively.

Thanks for the explanation and sharing this great guitar! You've really got me thinkin!! :toothy12:

Thanks a lot, pal.... I haven't even received my first ($800) package in the mail from Warmoth and I'm already considering buying more!  BTW, your playing is NICE.

Aieznx,

I just built a nylon string Strat with Ghost pickups. Problem is, ground hum... I called Graphtec and they said it could not be fixed.

How did you eliminate hum?

Thanks,

Sdixon

Hey shdixon,

I disagree with graphtech that the grounding can't be "fixed."  Maybe they mean it can't be eliminated completely or will hum when you're not playing (i.e. hands on the guitar with the volume up), but the notes definitely don't have hum on them, like an non-grounded pick up would.  It should behave like a single coil pick up (you definitely get hum, but it doesn't squelch the notes you're playing and is very minimal - almost un-noticeable).

I always play through a noise suppressor, for starters.  Also, I didn't notice a dramatic amount of hum when I set mine up (There was "some" but nothing more than a single coil pick up would have).  My noise suppressors pretty much get rid of it - no matter what I'm plugged into (clean amp or software modelers). 

Is it possible you might be getting some interference from lighting or monitors?  Are you sitting right next to your computer when you notice it?  Have you tried turning off your monitor, fluorescent lighting, etc?  I'm just wondering if you're getting hum in different scenarios. 

If after trying those things you are still getting hum, you might have a grounding issue elsewhere in the wiring - check your solder joints and make sure they are solid.  Also, try a new battery, in case the one you're using might be a dud.  Even try a different guitar cable, as it could be a number of things. 

Also, are you getting hum while playing as well? Or is it just between playing when you're sitting with it?

Definitely check to see if the hum stops when you touch the bridge.  If not, you have a grounding issue.

Back