My first Warmoth - Another black Strat

Alrighty then. Time to start a build thread rather than a box thread. Well, soon anyway. I ordered the neck, time to move on.

In the end, I decided the supplied fingerboard idea can be done some other time. I've been trying to stuff all my ideas into one build and that's just not gonna happen. There will be others.

Before I ordered the neck I had chosen last night, I surfed the showcase one last time, sorted by date and... ordered one I had never seen before.

Using none of the materials I had listed in my final choices.

Truth be told, I like this neck a lot, but I'm not sure I'll like it with this body a lot. But so be it. There will be other builds. With the variations in monitors and how things photograph vs how they look in real lighting, it may look great, it may not look so great. But the materials should have a tone I think I want, more so than a maple neck would, so I went with the sound in mind over matching colors.

Here's what I got:

SN8142A.jpg

SN8142B.jpg

Goncalo Alves / Pau Ferro. I am constantly annoyed by how "bright" things sound in everyday life, so Maple and ebony started to scare me. I was intrigued by having no finish on the neck... and it was only $232 complete. What's not to like???

SN8142.jpg

The body is more brown in most lighting, so we'll see how well the colors play together. Now I need to choose tuners to make sure I got the size of the holes correct, and when it shows up I'll start a build thread.

Thanks for putting up with my incessant rambling, I realize I've changed my mind a whole lot of times along the way. I'll try to be better next time.  :icon_biggrin:

DesmoDog said:
Alrighty then. Time to start a build thread rather than a box thread. Well, soon anyway. I ordered the neck, time to move on.

Before I ordered the neck I had chosen last night, I surfed the showcase one last time, sorted by date and... ordered one I had never seen before.

You don't now how close you came to missing that neck. I saw that last night, too, and damn near ordered it. It's a beautiful piece of work.

I've been agonizing over necks for a while now, too.

But, in the end I ordered a custom build this morning, and I'm going to have to suffer the outrageous lead time of 8 to 10 weeks, according to Mr. Randolf. Summer's gonna be in full swing by the time I see it. But, whaddaya gonna do? The heart wants what the heart wants.

I saw in one of your earlier pictures that your body does have some brown peeking through, and of course anything matches black, so that's going to work out just fine. It's also going to play and feel like a million bucks. Congrats on a fine catch, and I'll look forward to seeing how this all looks in the end.

That is a beautiful neck indeed :glasses9:

I am sure you will love it.  :icon_thumright:

Naked wood rules...

That GA/PF neck looks awesome.
So fill us in:  What frets, nut, back profile, and tuner ream did you choose?

AutoBat said:
That GA/PF neck looks awesome.
So fill us in:  What frets, nut, back profile, and tuner ream did you choose?

I ordered the 6150 frets because they match what I'm used to. Ditto the standard thin profile. Well, actually I would have been willing to try either the boat profile or the Clapton profile, but it wasn't a choice, the neck is what it is. (If I was ordering custom, I'd probably go with the Clapton profile)

I ordered a white Graph Tech TUSQ nut, but I'm thinking of changing it to black. Even though I don't foresee using the trem much, if at all, the black is supposed to work better for it if I DO end up screwing with it... I admit, I got white due to color instead of function. My bad.

It seems 90% of the tuners I'm considering use a 10mm ream, so I ordered 25/64" which I now see is 1/64 smaller than I should have gotten for, say, Sperzel tuners. (When I did the  metric => inches conversion I erred on the small side) If I do request a black nut I'll likely change that too. If not, it's 1/64, I think I can handle reaming that out myself.

Back