My first project, just getting started!

Lithium

Hi all--

Just got my parts in for my first project.  I was in need of a LP and couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so decided to do it myself.  I got a showcase body and a custom neck.  Just broke it all out and got some pics tonight.  I'm way excited with the body, much better than I expected.  I have a lot of work ahead of me, thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for p'ups and tuners....  The body ended up gorgeous, despite my pics making it look like it has some sort of rash... :dontknow: 
Oh, and body is chambered mahogany, neck is mahogany/ebony. 

I'm so happy cuz today, I found my friends, there in my head.

But I'm in a daze cuz I found God!

Welcome to the forum!  :)

First of all, the tuners hole are routed for which tuner?
Pickups:
As said on the other thread (one from dbw): classic LP tone:
Rio Grande Tx/BBQ or Bare Knuckle The Mules
But what are you looking for, tone wise?

I think its gonna look awesome - I had been eyeing that body on the Showcase.  I always thought zebra pickups look cool on a sunburst of that color.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
»$¡r ¤ §¢hmøøþ¥« said:

What have you been smoking,schmoop? ???

But anyway, nice guitar.

You'll see, if his name means what I think, if not, I'm just a random dingbat.

»$¡r ¤ §¢hmøøþ¥« said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
»$¡r ¤ §¢hmøøþ¥« said:

What have you been smoking,schmoop? ???

But anyway, nice guitar.

i think i know what you mean.

»$¡r ¤ §¢hmøøþ¥« said:

"Don't you love when you lick a Lithium's battery and your tongue gets black and falls???"  :icon_biggrin:

Yeah,  $¡r ¤ §¢hmøøþ¥« totally got it.  That is, in fact, exactly where it came from.  
Thanks for the welcome NoNonsenseTele!  The tuner holes are drilled for standard 11/32 vintage style.  Tone wise, i kind of wanted something that was classic LP, but a little hotter and heavy on the midrange.  I've got an SD SD in a Jag-Stang that I have, and have never been happy with it.  My favorite pickup currently is one that I got from a friend I did some work for.  He used to work for Moonstone and apparently knew Bill Lawrence before he developed his name.  From what he said, BL used to come by their shop to show off his new stuff whenever he'd work something up.  I have something that he referred to as a "pre-vintage" pickup.  It's got a classic tone, but is REALLY high output-- it's easily the loudest pickup I think I've ever heard.  Unfortunately, it has a home in a hand-made guitar that he gave me (no parts, my friend just straight up built it out of wood in the factory).  I'm considering looking at BL's new p'ups, but I have no idea what they sound like...

Red King- thanks for the recommendation on the zebra p'ups. I hadn't really thought about doing that... i just always pictured something with covers, but the zebras may work.

I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
I'm so ugly, but that's okay, 'cause so are you ...
We've broken our mirrors
Sunday morning is everyday for all I care ...
And I'm not scared
Light my candles, in a daze
'Cause I've found god
Hey, hey hey (x6)

I'm so lonely, but that's okay, I shaved my head ...
And I'm not sad
And just maybe I'm to blame for all I've heard ...
But I'm not sure
I'm so excited, I can't wait to meet you there ...
But I don't care
I'm so horny, but that's okay ...
My will is good
Hey, hey hey (x6)

(x2)
I like it - I'm not gonna crack
I miss you - I'm not gonna crack
I love you - I'm not gonna crack
I killed you - I'm not gonna crack

I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
I'm so ugly, but that's okay, 'cause so are you ...
We've broken our mirrors
Sunday morning is everyday for all I care ...
And I'm not scared
Light my candles in a daze ...
'Cause I've found god
Hey, hey hey (x6)

(x2)
I like it - I'm not gonna crack
I miss you - I'm not gonna crack
I love you - I'm not gonna crack
I killed you - I'm not gonna crack

WTH is that song Sir Schoompy?

Lithium:
Well, warmoth doesn't seell them if I remember right, but I would get a Gotoh locking vintage Gibby style tuners...
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/tuners_lockinggotoh.htm

Humm would go for Bare Knuckles or Rio Grande, never had a great review of any of the two "bill lawrences", beside I love Pantera...
And its NONSENSE... no freaking "no-nonsense" here  :laughing7:

Mine was funnier  :icon_biggrin: Knew the song but not the name nor lyrics... never a big fan of Nirvana

I saw that body in the showcase when I was looking a few months back.  I'm glad someone on here got it so I can see how the final product turns out.

»$¡r ¤ §¢hmøøþ¥« said:
It's "lithium"  :laughing7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUUHNf0S5cA
:icon_thumright:, very good Schmoopster. Lithium is one of my fav's from Neeeeeearvana...

red king said:
I think its gonna look awesome - I had been eyeing that body on the Showcase.  I always thought zebra pickups look cool on a sunburst of that color.

+1 for the Zebras.  Rio Grande's could be a good way to go, but have to say I'm still a fan of Bare Knuckle Pups also

Thanks for all the suggestions... I like what I've read so far abut the Bare Knuckles, and I think I'm leanin that way... anywhere one can hear them?  (The sounds clips don't appear to be uploaded)
Also, Nonsense, thanks for the suggestion on the tuners, I've been struggling with wanting the "tulip" style tuners, but definitely want locking ones too and hadn't found anything up until now.  Has anyone used those particular tuners?  How do they stack up against the Grover Rotomatics?  http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Grover_Full-size_Locking_Tuning_Machines.html 

On the BKP Forum there is a section caller "Players" where the guys record clips with theirs BKP... There is very good as some poor quality clips, as it's amauter... Pay attention to a guy called "hunter", his clips are always top notch!

Very nice, I was eyeing that showcase body and I wondered who got it.  The neck is beautiful, should be a killer build!  Zebras would look great... I also think covered black would look good.

Back