My 50th birthday project arrived today...

Happy Birthday , that is stunning !

I love the blue quilt / pearl pickguard .. have it on my Warmoth Tele.

NonsenseTele said:
callaway said:
The Warmoth quilt top on a Strat is a good 1/8" thick, well beyond a cheap veneer, and does have a contribution to the tone of the guitar.

Well put with the structural strenghtness. But the tone, well 1/8" change nothing :icon_thumright:

Well, probably not as much with a tremolo bridge. I have a homemade swamp ash Jazzmaster-esque guitar with a 1/8" maple top and a flat-mount bridge. The maple definitely makes itself known. But if it was a Strat-style tremolo set up to float, then it wouldn't make a difference.

Whoa, nice one!  I love the color, quilt, and back.  That's going to be one awesome guitar.  Oh yeah, and happy birthday!

mullyman said:
DangerousR6 said:
Wow.......... :eek:.... :icon_thumright:  But the pickguard just ain't working for me anyway... :sad1: But the guitar is just badass...

Ohh, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, man, that scratch plate looks killer on there. Really brings out the color. I agree with you 110% that it's a shame to cover the quilting like that, but I still like the plate. I think if it didn't have a plate on it, just had the pups routed, it would lose something. It would look more like an 80's shredder......not that there's anything wrong with the 80's, I was a teenager then. hehe!! But the plate gives it a little bit of modern/classic beauty.
MULLY
Ooooh, a Piezo in the bridge and no routing would be nice too.
I wasn't refering to the fact that it was top routed, just the the color. :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
mullyman said:
DangerousR6 said:
Wow.......... :eek:.... :icon_thumright:  But the pickguard just ain't working for me anyway... :sad1: But the guitar is just badass...

Ohh, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, man, that scratch plate looks killer on there. Really brings out the color. I agree with you 110% that it's a shame to cover the quilting like that, but I still like the plate. I think if it didn't have a plate on it, just had the pups routed, it would lose something. It would look more like an 80's shredder......not that there's anything wrong with the 80's, I was a teenager then. hehe!! But the plate gives it a little bit of modern/classic beauty.
MULLY
Ooooh, a Piezo in the bridge and no routing would be nice too.
I wasn't refering to the fact that it was top routed, just the the color. :icon_biggrin:

Gotcha. But still, it's a shame to cover something like that with a scratch plate. There was a body on Warmoth's page a few weeks ago that I fell in love with. I'm sure if you frequent their page you probably saw it. It was a brown color and the figuring almost looked like puffy clouds. It hadn't been routed at all at that point. I thought about getting it but it was like 750 bucks and I thought it would be a damn shame to route for pups, regardless of if you were going to use a plate or not. I thought it might make a cool looking side table. hehe!!
MULLY

That's a beautiful piece!  I love Black Korina. Congratulations!  And props to you for being cool enough to advertise that you are 50.  It is so annoying when people get all insecure about their age. 

Interestingly enough, most people in their 80s report that their 60s was the best decade of their lives, not their 20s... so I guess it's all how you look at it. 

But anyways, that's going to be a great guitar and I hope you enjoy it.  Happy Birthday.

hannaugh said:
It is so annoying when people get all insecure about their age. 

Hey!  I resemble that remark!    :laughing7:

Actually, my band mates and I were talking about this, and we came to the conclusion that it's better to be old (ish) and very good at your craft and know the score than to be young and in-experienced.  Plus, now we have more disposable income for gear  :icon_tongue:

It is totally true.  Being young is unbelievably overrated.  Being better looking and healthier (for some anyway) VS being smarter, more experienced, more comfortable with yourself, usually having better relationships with those around you, having more money, not having people talk down to you... the list goes on.  I think I would rather take the wisdom and some financial security. 

That is a beautiful guitar, it is like swimming in a sea of blue. 

As for the pickguard, as far as top routing goes, I think it's the perfect combo.  I've got the same on my green quilt, so great minds think alike. :)

Can't wait to see the full build.

erik

hannaugh said:
It is totally true.  Being young is unbelievably overrated.  Being better looking and healthier (for some anyway) VS being smarter, more experienced, more comfortable with yourself, usually having better relationships with those around you, having more money, not having people talk down to you... the list goes on.  I think I would rather take the wisdom and some financial security. 

You know, Hanna, you bring up the better looking part of age. It's not fair but on average men tend to age better than women when it gets past that 50 year mark.

I used to be really concerned about my age when I was in my 20's. 30 always seemed old to me. Even when I was 29 I was freaking out about turning 30. On my 30th birthday I realized that nothing had changed. Then on my 40th, again, nothing had really changed. I'm still me.............and oddly enough that scares me even more. It really bothers me that one day I'll be young in my head but old on the outside. That has to really suck. There was a line in a movie once that really put it into perspective. This old guy was driving somewhere across a few states on a tractor. One night he was stopped on the side of the road and had a fire going and was talking to some young guys. One of the younger guys asked him "What's the wrost part of being old" and his reply was "The worst part of being old is remembering what it was like being young." What a bummer.
MULLY
still 40 with 41 coming in February

Welcome to AARP.   :laughing7:   You might as well start the second fifty with a nice piece like that.  She’s a beauty.

I’ll celebrate my third anniversary of 50 next month.   I wonder what the birthday fairy is going to bring me?

When I was in high school, everyone thought I was in my 20s.  Kids at school would ask me if I was the substitute teacher.  People asked me if I was married all the time, which is a weird question to get when you're 14. 

Now I'm a high school teacher, and in my 20s, and people think I'm a student.  "But, you look like you're 17!"

I'm not really sure I understand this.  I must be aging backwards like Benjamin Button.

Back