My 50th birthday project arrived today...

Badfinger

I decided to treat myself for my 50th, so I picked out a Black Korina Strat body with a highly-figured maple top  :hello2:

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

I also bought a wenge neck with black ebony board, but I'm not sure that is what I want to bolt onto it now.  I have to think about my options.
Anyway, thought I would share my 'out of the box' body!

Gorgeous quilt!  What's the back look like?  Black Korina can have some pretty spectacular figuring on it's own.

That's very purdy.

you actually admit to being 50?  :toothy11:  I'm approaching that and I'm still hiding it  :)

Dude, that is killer!!! I'm going to say something the way the Japanese say it, in English of course, but they mean it in a good way.

The quilting on that makes me want to puke.

Basically what they mean by that is that the quilting is so wavy that it turns your stomach the way a wave on the ocean would. It's not an insult in any way shape or form.
MULLY

Wow.......... :eek:.... :icon_thumright:  But the pickguard just ain't working for me anyway... :sad1: But the guitar is just badass...

DangerousR6 said:
Wow.......... :eek:.... :icon_thumright:  But the pickguard just ain't working for me anyway... :sad1: But the guitar is just badass...

Ohh, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, man, that scratch plate looks killer on there. Really brings out the color. I agree with you 110% that it's a shame to cover the quilting like that, but I still like the plate. I think if it didn't have a plate on it, just had the pups routed, it would lose something. It would look more like an 80's shredder......not that there's anything wrong with the 80's, I was a teenager then. hehe!! But the plate gives it a little bit of modern/classic beauty.
MULLY
Ooooh, a Piezo in the bridge and no routing would be nice too.

That is awesome indeed, a color explosion.  The pick guard is a bit busy for me with that top.  It's kind of an unofficial rule of mine but busy top, bland pickguard.  Bland top, busy pickguard.  If I could offer a bit of constructive criticism, choose another word for veneer.  Veneer screams of cheap furniture and is a thin piece used to disguise the uglyness beneath.  There's nothing ugly on this to hide, nor is it particularly thin.  Maybe say laminate top.

Will look killer!!

My feelings are with you now, I'm approaching 25 and feeling an old fart, imagina double it :sad:

Normally I'm not a fan of this kind of thing, but man... that is hot. The back is perfect! If it was just some boring alder or mahogany, it wouldn't be as good. The Korina lurking around the corner just sets the whole thing off. And beautiful choice for the pickguard as well.

Decide which neck you're going to put on it so we can all see! (How about a Goncalo / Ebony?)

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
That is awesome indeed, a color explosion.  The pick guard is a bit busy for me with that top.  It's kind of an unofficial rule of mine but busy top, bland pickguard.  Bland top, busy pickguard.  If I could offer a bit of constructive criticism, choose another word for veneer.  Veneer screams of cheap furniture and is a thin piece used to disguise the uglyness beneath.  There's nothing ugly on this to hide, nor is it particularly thin.  Maybe say laminate top.

I wouldn't have been so picky to call him out on that, but yes, veneer usually refers to a paper-thin laminate (and will have no impact on tone). The Warmoth quilt top on a Strat is a good 1/8" thick, well beyond a cheap veneer, and does have a contribution to the tone of the guitar.

Ok, Ok, Ok.  No more veneer in the description :eek:ccasion14:  As far as the pickguard, pearloid white may be my first choice, but I'm also going to experiment with a pearloid black pickguard and see what that does to it.  I have some WCR SR pickups I'm dropping in and it will have Callaham hardware.

callaway said:
The Warmoth quilt top on a Strat is a good 1/8" thick, well beyond a cheap veneer, and does have a contribution to the tone of the guitar.

Well put with the structural strenghtness. But the tone, well 1/8" change nothing :icon_thumright:

Badfinger said:
Ok, Ok, Ok.  No more veneer in the description :eek:ccasion14:  As far as the pickguard, pearloid white may be my first choice, but I'm also going to experiment with a pearloid black pickguard and see what that does to it.  I have some WCR SR pickups I'm dropping in and it will have Callaham hardware.

I agree completely with your choices so far, I wouldn't change the pearloid pickguard.  Where you found the SR pickups???

Kostas said:
I agree completely with your choices so far, I wouldn't change the pearloid pickguard.  Where you found the SR pickups???

I had the WCR SR pickups in another Strat, got them a couple of years ago from Jim at WCR.  He will still make them, he just doesn't have them on his website.  Too labor intensive to do a lot of them.

Back