Mutual recording/composing online?

Yogevs

Hi all,

My band and I are currently in a long-distance relationship. We look for a platform in which we can compose or record music together, something like guitar-pro or DAW environment which automatically updates for everyone in real-time. We saw some options online which are not flexible enough (not able to change the tempo or time signature in the middle of the song, which is a must-have for us).
Does anyone have some experience with this kind of stuff and can recommend a nice platform?

Thank you 🙏

Perhaps look into Cubase, which can do tempo and time signature changes. There is now also an offering called VST cloud also from Steinberg for collaboration with other Cubase users.

Note: I have used Cubase but not VST cloud but based on Cubase alone I think it is worth investigating.

I have looked for something like this for a very long time and I can safely say that no satisfying solution exists on the market. All I can recommend is rather than to find a solution, work with sharing stems. Here's a nice overview: https://splice.com/blog/exporting-stems-collaboration-splice/

The people I collaborate with all use Ableton, but still there's issues with plugins. So if you don't go the stem route, you will always end up in a situation where you can - all of a sudden - run into compatibility issues. And those simply take too much time to solve.

Sync all devices with Syncology. This is what we use.
as soon as I hit save, my bass player gets a notification of the update. When he launches the session, it automatically opens as per my last update, that way we are both in the most current file. At a minimu, we are current and each other is a back up device.

Mid-2023, and stems are still the way to go! With the advent of almost ubiquitous fiber internet, you can blast a five-minute WAV stem across the world in a couple seconds. I'm working on a multi-album project with an old songwriter friend from London (I produced his first single way back in 1980...) and we throw stems back and forth using an FTP server in Kansas City. And MP3 Ruffmixes just travel to and fro in emails. He uses Ardour (on linux) and I use Mixbus (on Windows and Linux) and the work proceeds very smoothly!

Back