Mustang In Need Of TLC................

vic108

Years ago (1982 or so), a friend was looking for a cheap guitar and he says I found him this for $40 from a friend of mine.
Of course, I remember none of this and am shocked I'd let one pass thru my fingers........

000_1157.jpg

000_1162.jpg

Back in 1984, he let me borrow it for about 3 months and I fell in love with it. Recorded a few tunes with it too.

000_1158.jpg

Last fall, he told me to pick it up the next time I was up his way = FREE as he said he wasn't using it and knew I'd give it a good home.

000_1160-1.jpg

pot dates.......... 032367 25 OK A 137 6642.....................42nd week of 1966

000_1174.jpg

and neck date looks like NOV '70 to me..........

000_1179.jpg

000_1178.jpg

Well folks, what yah think? Needs some WARMOTH love! What would you do with it?

Looks like the beast from the east!~

Nothing a little sandpaper and grain filler cant cure.

Oh yah.. some nitro nitro too.

Just put a nice finnish on it, and put it back together and keep it.

Or buy a new body, neck and parts, to replace all the parts there, of course this leaves you with all the original parts left to : put a nice finnish on it, and put it back together and keep it

You're right, that guitar needs some love. Whoever shimmed the neck needs to be taken out back and slapped around for an hour or two, just out of general principle.

By the way, Mustang pickups are some of the loudest ever made.

I'd just put a nice finish on the body -era correct color?  And check the setup and then play to death.  That's a nice find!

When Veek makes his final decision, we'll do da deed.  Body needs rewiring too it seems.

I was kind of hoping he went for something cool like SeaFoam Green.  Its gonna need a solid color to come out right.

Ocean Turquoise
Surf Green
Lake Placid Blue

are the choices right now.......................what yah think?

Considering the age, I'm guessing you want to do more of a restore than a rebuild, so I would go with Lake Placid Blue, and try to keep as many of the parts as possible. 

Awesome! Needs the original color, whatever it was, and as little intervention as possible.

Forgot to say:
Everybody will throw rocks on me, but I would change the neck, if it's not one of those Fenders that have value above $5k...
Warmoth Pro, keeps the look of vintage with a decente adjuster, hate the adjuster in the end of the neck...

I'd personally rather not shoot metallic from a spray bomb... on Vics baby.  But I do like LPB.  That blue looks darker tho.  Too bad reranch doesn't have a darker blue opaque.

ReRanch does say the LPB is easy to apply though.  And I've done gold metallic here from a Krylonbomb and its been ok, so maybe its doable~

RLW said:
You're right, that guitar needs some love. Whoever shimmed the neck needs to be taken out back and slapped around for an hour or two, just out of general principle.

By the way, Mustang pickups are some of the loudest ever made.

yup, the pups were designed FOR the Mustang, not sounding like any other Fender pup.
There's a MID growl that's incredible!

Back