Most Versatile Wood for Chambered Strat

TV Robot said:
Kostas said:
Firebird said:
... I originally thought the wood type for the body would make the most difference in sound, but it turns out it really doesn't...

I disagree. Not always but most times I play a guitar I can guess the type of body wood. Korina/Mahogany has a signature sound, hard to miss it.

TV Robot said:
I actually was pretty set on getting the Universal (pool) routing done on it. Most people who go down that path seem pretty content with their guitars. One question about the mahogany neck though: they mention something about putting on a finish at the same time they're making the body so it will match. Can they put an alpine white finish on the neck if I order it at the same time as the body? What's the deal with that? I found that little bit of info when clicking the "Help" question mark next to the finish dropdown box option thing on the neck builder in case I sound crazy. Also any particular reason for mahogany and maple top?

Universal is fine, even takes weight off the guitar.
When it comes to matching colors they do that so the color of the body looks 100% like the neck color. To match... :icon_smile:
Mahogany and maple top is a classic proven combination in guitar world. Check how many companies do it.

How exactly do I go about ordering a neck in alpine white then?

P.S. Please forgive my ignorance.

lafromla1 said:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=13458.0

Chambered Swamp Ash, 3.10lbs, Black Transparent finish, Gloss Black back
DiMarzio Area '58, Virtual Vintage '54 Pro, and PAF Joe pickups
Wilkie trem with Raw Vintage trem springs
Schaller Mini-lockers
Master Tone, Master Volume, 3-way toggle to split the Joe.

Quartersawn Rosewood Neck with Tung Oil
SS6105 Stainless Steel frets

Sounds warm and juicy.  Doesnt really hit those super high chime-like notes, but thats not what I wanted it to do anyway.  I'm sure that if you wanted it to hit those notes, you can go with a maple or ebony neck.

Very sexy  :icon_thumright:. BTW how are the stainless steel frets? I hear some people criticize them (something about lack of tone) and other people say they love them (something about lasting a long time).

Not a response to anyone in particular: How does swamp ash/swamp ash body with maple/ebony neck sound?

I've got a non-chambered Swamp Ash with Maple top and Maple/Ebony neck that sounds lovely!  Not too bright at all.

TV Robot said:
-All mahogany body + maple/maple or maple/ebony

I've heard that that ^ doesn't turn out to well, any thoughts?

I've got a solid mahogany strat with a maple / ebony neck and it's awesome.

Back