Mooncaster SSB

ghotiphry said:
Hm... I'm not sure I agree.  Doesn't this look better?

5IbZkiYl.jpg
Yes! This looks better. When it's sitting in a stand or you hold it by the neck, it'll look right. when you're playing it, no one will see the image on its side because it'll be against your body or at least facing away from anyone who would look at you.

I think the full moon would just look less like a moon.

ghotiphry said:
Well, how about something like this?  Since I'm only working with black and "white", it has to be high contrast.  It starts to look less like the moon, to me.

jDI69Erl.jpg

SSBMooncaster.jpg

Should keep it "Mooncaster"  theme  :headbang5

It balances better and gets rid of the orientation issue, but yeah. Without any gray scale, it looks less like a moon than a glue splotch.

Yeah, I think the first one is the best.  That's all that matters.  I'm still playing around a bit, but 90%.  And the off-centered idea was almost the purpose of the first.  It gives the illusion of "moon" without moon being there, accentuated by the black circle.

After seeing Hendrix's comment and wondering what he was saying, I wondered if a "phases of the moon" thing could work. But, given the size of a neck plate, I doubt you'd be able to tell what you're looking at.

Something like this, maybe?  :dontknow:

Attachments

• eclips.jpg
    eclips.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1
Agreed, Hendrix.  I had reversed the image, which made that area white.  Then I started playing.  I removed the first one, it just said "sun."

No good, huh?  This is actually harder to pull off well than I thought it was going to be.

ghotiphry said:
Funny, Aaron, I was working on this when you posted that.

o4ImMp8l.jpg

That's my idea exactly, except better and cooler in every way.

No good? I think it's fantastic. Definitely more artful than your earlier idea.

Some things I would try: put some crater/pock marks on the leading edge of the moon (in white). Also, try making the sun and all it rays completely white. Might work, might not.

yes , what I try to said on first place  , a full moon just said "moon."

may be made the white part of "sun " thicker  , as plate is quite small , not easy to see.

3 minutes of fiddling:

Attachments

• moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 22
I had to adjust things a bit for contrast.  But man, brilliant.  A little bit of realism, a little bit of the surreal, a little bit of impressionism.  I hope I didn't completely screw it up.

rf1l6hGl.jpg

2qJIV6zl.jpg

Back