MOAR POWER

NedRyerson

I just finished a computer job for my wife's cousin's auto repair shop, which netted me $300 in profit. Originally, I was going to charge $200 for my labor, but his wife disagreed and asked me to bump it up some (never see that typically happen....).

With that slightly unexpected windfall, my brain started hitting all sorts of corners, wondering what to do with the extra. Maybe the clone pedal kit I'd been eyeing. Maybe a significant chunk toward Red Death's neck order from WM.  No, better idea.

drillpress.jpg

The guitar I'm working on for my friend's son doesn't have any of the screw holes pre-drilled, and Red Death doesn't either. I already made a few mistakes on drilling the screw holes for Kijo with my regular cordless driver, so I figured I was due to bring in the drill press sooner than I expected to.

NedRyerson said:
I just finished a computer job for my wife's cousin's auto repair shop, which netted me $300 in profit. Originally, I was going to charge $200 for my labor, but his wife disagreed and asked me to bump it up some (never see that typically happen....).

With that slightly unexpected windfall, my brain started hitting all sorts of corners, wondering what to do with the extra. Maybe the clone pedal kit I'd been eyeing. Maybe a significant chunk toward Red Death's neck order from WM.  No, better idea.

drillpress.jpg

The guitar I'm working on for my friend's son doesn't have any of the screw holes pre-drilled, and Red Death doesn't either. I already made a few mistakes on drilling the screw holes for Kijo with my regular cordless driver, so I figured I was due to bring in the drill press sooner than I expected to.

That looks like the same one I got. I have no complaints with it so far, the spindle runs true both on runout and verticle drop. You do have to readjust the lazer sight every so often, but it's not that big a deal. Two allen screws takes care of it. It should give you good service.  :icon_thumright:

Same as above, I really like the drill press. I’ve used it for pedal enclosures, drilling a plexi chassis, and guitars for a year or two now. No issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys. I was a bit hesitant because the reviews seemed to go in both directions and the last time I used a drill press was 8th grade wood shop class (so mid-'80s). :) But with a few local friends who have more woodworking experience that I can lean on for advice & guidance, I decided to go for it since the majority of the positive reviews focused on hobby users rather than people trying to stock a professional business.

I also have plenty of scrap stock to practice on!

Could I ask you to provide the specific model # / link?  I so need one of these.

Considered durable / reliable?

BroccoliRob said:
yo ned so WEN u gonna use it? #selfhi5

#iseewhatyoudidthere

Probably Friday or Saturday when I get back to the other house where the workshop is, and where I'm having this thing delivered.

rauchman said:
Could I ask you to provide the specific model # / link?  I so need one of these.

It's the WEN 4214 with the 12" swing. The reviews are pretty positive and for a beginner hobbyist like me, I didn't want to spend thousands on a pro-grade floor-mount model.

I ordered it from Amazon because at the time, it was about $20 less than ordering from Home Depot.  Looks like it's climbed up in price and is only $7 less now.  :eek:

NedRyerson said:
rauchman said:

It's the WEN 4214 with the 12" swing. The reviews are pretty positive and for a beginner hobbyist like me, I didn't want to spend thousands on a pro-grade floor-mount model.

I ordered it from Amazon because at the time, it was about $20 less than ordering from Home Depot.  Looks like it's climbed up in price and is only $7 less now.  :eek:

Very much appreciated....thank you!

I assembled and hooked it up yesterday, and mounted to a Powertec tool stand.  Did some test drills, and discovered that one of the positioning lasers doesn't work. I've e-mailed WEN about it.  Not a deal breaker, because I can still position the work piece and the bit without it -- I just don't want them to tell me that I have to disassemble the whole thing and return it as a warranty repair (not worth the effort or the downtime for one piece of a nice-to-have).

But after a bit of practice, I hit some of my real work pieces.  Man, what a convenience!  I drilled the screw holes for the tuning machines for Kijo and the screw holes for the pickguard of the friend's-son Strat.  The built-in depth stop is so nice.  I don't have to rely on a piece of painter's tape while using my cordless!

I thought at first that MOAR POWER was a brand. Then a pillar drill with the name WEN appeared in the thread.  :laughing7:

Likewise. I thought MOPAR, or wasn’t there a custom guitar builder similar to Moar mentioned within the last few months?

NedRyerson said:
I'm not sure if my Internet meme power is too old or too young at this point :)

I go with Garth Brooks, I'm too young to feel this dam old................ :icon_thumright:

I remember about 5 years ago having the concept of a meme explained to me.  Telling the kid ... Is that it?  And being told, yep.

It's a language of its own now (and I'm in my late 40s).

At least the Internet has matured slightly enough as compared to the completely non-sequitur, bizarre wasteland of nonsense* that it started out as about 20 years ago.

* an update to the original Flash version

Back