Meanwhile, at Warmoth: Release the Cracken!

Wizard of Wailing said:
    I started playing guitar in 1988.  I seem to remember a lot of guitars with this look back then.

I started in '85, and a couple years later, I was seriously jonesing for one of these Charvel Fusion guys (which, in retrospect,  because of the Kahler and locking nut, I'm glad I never got one of):

gyxes7polruyovaononz.jpg

Bagman67 said:
Wizard of Wailing said:
    I started playing guitar in 1988.  I seem to remember a lot of guitars with this look back then.

I started in '85, and a couple years later, I was seriously jonesing for one of these Charvel Fusion guys (which, in retrospect,  because of the Kahler and locking nut, I'm glad I never got one of):

gyxes7polruyovaononz.jpg
Uhhhmmm, that's got a Floyd...  :icon_scratch:

I lusted after a couple Charvel Fusiojs in crackle or seafoam, but none ever followed me home. Seeing these again stirs up some feelings. The neck singoe really should've been reverse angled though.

DangerousR6 said:

You're probably right - but at the same time Kahler was marketing a trem that looked an awful lot like a Floyd, possibly I remember it from the Carvin catalogs of the same era.  The missing Floyd logo in the admittedly poor photo here is replaced by what is likely a Jackson brand, not Kahler.

EDIT:

Here's the one I was thinking of, offered on the Fender HM Strat in the late '80s - the Kahler Spyder.

iu

You're both right. Kahler did sell a Floyd Rose-style bridge for Carvins back in the '80s that got installed on some Jacksons. That's one of them, which you can tell by the dual knife-edge fuclrum as opposed to the fixed-mount Kahler bridges are known for.

They also had one on a Washburn N2 (Nuno) that was pretty good.
I had one back then and it was a great guitar, very reliable.

My very first guitar was an 80's import knockoff strat (not exactly like the stuff coming from Agile these days) with a pot metal Kahler clone. I've thought a time or two, 'meh, I know Kahler 'lost' but I mean it is sort of nostalgic... then I realize, no, there's a darn good reason Kahler went away and Floyd still rules the roost 4 decades later.

Wait did I just say Floyd and 4 decades?

Regular old Crackle not wild enough for you? Then how about Glow-in-the-Dark Crackle?! There are only three, so if you want one, better grab it now! Find them here: http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Path=Spotlight&bFinish=299&%3Fmobile=no

58870218_10158628755703289_7300897529309167616_o.jpg

Bagman67 said:
DangerousR6 said:

You're probably right - but at the same time Kahler was marketing a trem that looked an awful lot like a Floyd, possibly I remember it from the Carvin catalogs of the same era.  The missing Floyd logo in the admittedly poor photo here is replaced by what is likely a Jackson brand, not Kahler.

EDIT:

Here's the one I was thinking of, offered on the Fender HM Strat in the late '80s - the Kahler Spyder.

iu
Yes, Jackson often used rebranded Floyds with the Jackson name on them, but even so the Floyd and the Kahler are easy to tell apart unless one isn't familiar with both. :icon_thumright:

The Aaron said:
Regular old Crackle not wild enough for you? Then how about Glow-in-the-Dark Crackle?! There are only three, so if you want one, better grab it now! Find them here: http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Path=Spotlight&bFinish=299&%3Fmobile=no

58870218_10158628755703289_7300897529309167616_o.jpg
That Tele is sweet...

Back