Meanwhile, at Warmoth: 1.650" Nut Width, y'all!!!

Ninja00151 said:
Aaron, I really value your opinion. Im a smaller/thinner person with small/medium thin fingered sized hands.

Besides being a smaller/thin person, you're obviously a very intelligent person.

Ninja00151 said:
I'm planning on a 24.0" mustang neck with a 59" back profile. Before I was set on 1 5/8 nut width, but now I don't know if I should go with 1 5/8 or 1.650.

Which one do you prefer?

For the 59 Roundback profile I would go with 1-5/8". The active word in that name is "Roundback"....it starts to feel big pretty quickly. All my personal necks are 1-5/8" Wolfgang, but I'm looking forward to trying a 1.650" Wolfgang.

Just so everybody knows, I will be lobbying the execs to rename all our nut widths so that millimeters are the main measurement, and imperial units are in parenthesis. I have a meeting with them tomorrow. We will see what their take is.

Like so: 43mm (1-11/16")

Renaming them thusly will make them so much easier to understand.

The Aaron said:
Just so everybody knows, I will be lobbying the execs to rename all our nut widths so that millimeters are the main measurement, and imperial units are in parenthesis. I have a meeting with them tomorrow. We will see what their take is.

Like so: 43mm (1-11/16")

Renaming them thusly will make them so much easier to understand.
As long as you have both listed, it probably isn't important which is first.

Just label them in Parsecs so it's equally confusing to everyone. And it'd be metric to boot.  That's what most Chinese manufacturers do with their pictograms, which are just a step below hieroglyphs in terms of content communicated.

Ninja00151 said:
Just to clarify for everyone, millimeters are much easier to use than inches for these differences. And I'm from the US!

1 5/8 inches = 1.625 inches = exactly 41.275 millimeters/ or approx ~41mm

1.650 inches = exactly 41.91 millimeters/ or approx ~42mm

1 11/16 inches = 1.6875 inches = exactly 42.862 millimeters/ or approx ~43mm
____
____
Difference from 1 5/8 -> 1.650 is + 0.635 mm/ or approx ~half a milimeter

Difference from 1.650 -> 1 11/16 is + 0.952mm/ or approx ~a milimeter
____
____
Summary, difference between 1 5/8" and 1.650" is about half the difference between 1.650" and 1 11/16".

I see nothing easier about mm.
And your figures are off.

The difference between 1-5/8 and 1.65" is .025".

Street Avenger said:
Ninja00151 said:
Just to clarify for everyone, millimeters are much easier to use than inches for these differences. And I'm from the US!

____
____

____
____
Summary, difference between 1 5/8" and 1.650" is about half the difference between 1.650" and 1 11/16".

We're both right. .025 inches is .635mm! Aaron is completely correct that it gets confusing quite quickly, LMAO.

Ninja00151 said:
Street Avenger said:
Ninja00151 said:

____
____

____
____

We're both right. .025 inches is .635mm! Aaron is completely correct that it gets confusing quite quickly, LMAO.

Sorry. You were correct. I still find inches (fractions or decimals) easier because that is what I'm familiar with.

Street Avenger said:
... I still find inches (fractions or decimals) easier because that is what I'm familiar with.
I totally agree with this. And that’s why The Aaron’s decision to take it up with the execs is a good one. Having both units will make it easier for both americans (and brits) and all of us from the rest of the world.
After all, if you’re selling something, you want the message (the specs) to be instantly understood.

Britain is mostly metric Logrinn.

Of course, we still use miles for distance and hills are signposted something like 12% instead of 1 in 8 like they used to be. And my Sat Nav tells me how many miles to my destination, but then tells me to prepare to turn left in 200 meters.

There are some of us that grew up with the older money and measurement systems prior to decimalization and things going metric. For that reason, I am comfortable with both systems. Though for some things one system seems more natural for that thing than another.

Everyone's going to be comfortable with whatever they have experience with. It's all completely arbitrary. Base ten for math in general is pretty arbitrary.

spe111 said:
Everyone's going to be comfortable with whatever they have experience with. It's all completely arbitrary. Base ten for math in general is pretty arbitrary.

How many fingers do most people have?

If we had 16 fingers we would all be counting in Hex and there probably would be sufficient numerical symbols not to have to write FF for 255.

Yes, that's the reason for ten but you probably wouldn't care about that if you learned in 8, 12, 16, or whatever else. I think Mayans were base 20 at one point, ten fingers ten toes.

spe111 said:
Yes, that's the reason for ten but you probably wouldn't care about that if you learned in 8, 12, 16, or whatever else. I think Mayans were base 20 at one point, ten fingers ten toes.

I personally don't care about it. But it is what it is.

One of the challenges I found with adults learning binary or hex for example in the computer world is often they never really had explained to them how base 10 works.

I agree. I think people would be more open minded in general if they knew that counting to ten didn't necessarily even have to be a thing.

Since we're already off base...

If we counted in base 6, we could count to 35 on our fingers without obscene gestures or awkward finger manipulations, and teach places at the same time.  Personally, I think it makes enough sense that I'm kind of shocked that 1) base 10 is nearly universal, and 2) there are a few tribes in PNG who count in base 6, but it's by no means mainstream.

*Fun Fact - NCAA basketball jerseys are actually base 6.  6,7,8,8,9 aren't used. This allows the refs to signal a player by jersey using hand signals.

I suggest to list the nut sizes as follows:

1.625" ( 1-5/8")
1.650" 
1.687" ( 1-11/16")
1.750" ( 1-3/4")

On the neck builder is the list of nut sizes appears out of order (see image). 
Personally I would leave it in thousands of an inch, 1.625", 1.650", etc.  That is already a decimal unit anyway  :)

Attachments

• Nut width selection drop box.jpg
    Nut width selection drop box.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 223
Back