Meanwhile, at Warmoth: 1.650" Nut Width, y'all!!!

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
1.650" Nut Width is now an option on all build-to-order #Warmoth necks! We also have a bunch in stock.
ClassicShowcase.aspx
Click here to see all the Warmoth 1.650" Nut Width necks in stock.

52422223_10158389256453289_1426007911972208640_o.jpg

I love it every time you guys give us warmothians more options to choose from.
But for us metrics (non-americans) perhaps you could tell us more about this. Why a decimal number for this and fractions for the other options (1-11/16 et al)?
And isn’t 1,650 and 1-5/8 (almost) the same?

Greetings from the inquisitive metric swede

I think it's just decimal because 1 65/100" would look weird. Or 13/20, or anything else.

Logrinn said:
But for us metrics (non-americans) perhaps you could tell us more about this. Why a decimal number for this and fractions for the other options (1-11/16 et al)?

They don't teach decimals and fractions in school in your country?

One inch = 25.4 mm.  Simple math will get you your answer (43mm).

Once you go 1 3/4 you never go back...............if you have bigger fingers

Street Avenger said:
Logrinn said:

Oh, yes, they teach fractions, but we stopped using fractions when measuring lengths in the 1800’s I believe.
1.650” translates to 41,91mm. And since 1-5/8” is 41,275mm the difference is just a little more than half a millimetre.
But on the other hand 1-11/16” is 42,8625mm, so 1,650” is in the middle and perhaps something we all would immediately feel the difference of. Even though, on paper, the difference looks very slight.

And I now got the newsletter from Warmoth about the new width and they mention exactly this - it being in the middle between 1-5/8 and 1-11/16 and supposedly been requested by many.

A good thing we got this settled. It’s in between the two other widths. Gotcha!

Logrinn said:
Street Avenger said:
Logrinn said:

Oh, yes, they teach fractions, but we stopped using fractions when measuring lengths in the 1800’s I believe.
1.650” translates to 41,91mm. And since 1-5/8” is 41,275mm the difference is just a little more than half a millimetre.
But on the other hand 1-11/16” is 42,8625mm, so 1,650” is in the middle and perhaps something we all would immediately feel the difference of. Even though, on paper, the difference looks very slight.

And I now got the newsletter from Warmoth about the new width and they mention exactly this - it being in the middle between 1-5/8 and 1-11/16 and supposedly been requested by many.

LOL, I have the same issue with metric dimensions. I can intellectualize a metric size but it doesn't mean much emotionally until I convert it to inches. It's all how one is used to thinking.

Logrinn said:

I know it's weird to have some nut widths listed in Imperial units, and some in metric, but we did it because that's how people commonly refer to these nut widths. They are almost like names, rather than dimensions. People have referred to Fender's nut width as 1.650 forever. People see that, and recognize it as the name for Fender's nut width, without actually thinking about dimensions.

It's the same with 24-3/4" and 25-1/2". I didn't say what those refer to, but I bet you know. :) Have you ever gone to the Ibanez website, where they are referred to with decimals? It makes it seem like they are speaking a foreign language. :)

As far as the small differences between the various nut widths, it is incredible how perceptive our sense of touch is. You can easily feel the difference, even though it is very small. I mean, think about different fret sizes. Their dimensions are separated by hundredths of an inch, yet the difference in feel is huge.

Logrinn said:
Street Avenger said:
Logrinn said:

Yes, the 43mm I typed is for 1-11/16".

The 1.65" is a miniscule difference from 1-5/8" and would probably allow for some shrinkage over the years.

The Aaron said:
Logrinn said:

I know it's weird to have some nut widths listed in Imperial units, and some in metric, but we did it because that's how people commonly refer to these nut widths. They are almost like names, rather than dimensions. People have referred to Fender's nut width as 1.650 forever. People see that, and recognize it as the name for Fender's nut width, without actually thinking about dimensions.

It's the same with 24-3/4" and 25-1/2". I didn't say what those refer to, but I bet you know. :) Have you ever gone to the Ibanez website, where they are referred to with decimals? It makes it seem like they are speaking a foreign language. :)

As far as the small differences between the various nut widths, it is incredible how perceptive our sense of touch is. You can easily feel the difference, even though it is very small. I mean, think about different fret sizes. Their dimensions are separated by hundredths of an inch, yet the difference in feel is huge.
Yeah, Aaron. That difference is so miniscule, and yet I can feel it.

Street Avenger said:
The Aaron said:
Logrinn said:

Yeah, Aaron. That difference is so miniscule, and yet I can feel it.
Um.... That's what she said?

Actually, I could see regularizing 1.75 inches to 45mm, 1 11/16" to 43mm and 1 5/8s to 42mm or 41.5, or maybe even 41.  Actually, I like that, 41, 43 and 45.

Problem of course would be marketing, people just like what they are used to even if something else is just as good or better or more sensible, hence, our imperial measuring system.  I'm always explaining to my wife how many ounces to a cup, how many cups to a pint, how many ounces in gallon, how many feet to a mile, or inches to a yard, and why we base our system on 12, but we have 16ths ... it's what I'm used to, but the metric makes sense.

By the way we have 12's because some proto englishman counted 10 fingers and his two arms.

Between a 1-5/8 or a 1.650 or a 1.650 and a 1.687 the differences are so minuscule, you won't be able to tell the difference. We're only talking about .010" to .015" per side, so unless you hands and fingers are calibrated like a micrometer, it's all in the mind...

41,275mm  - I'm not sure I can deal with a nut that's wider than a school bus is long.

It's fun being a Canadian.
They teach Metric in school, so no kids know how many feet there are in a mile.  Liquids are measured in metric, but construction is measured in feet/inches.  We all talk about how many feet/inches tall we are and how many pounds we weigh, but the doctors always measure us in cm and KG.  The speedometers have Km/h AND Mph.  Everything we buy has to have the price re-adjusted because mostly everything on the net is in USD, and our currency is also called a Dollar.  And every label has English AND French on it.  And in French they use , instead of . for decimals.

Back