Meanwhile, at Warmoth: 1.650" Nut Width, y'all!!!

Advoc said:
It's fun being a Canadian.
They teach Metric in school, so no kids know how many feet there are in a mile.  Liquids are measured in metric, but construction is measured in feet/inches.  We all talk about how many feet/inches tall we are and how many pounds we weigh, but the doctors always measure us in cm and KG.  The speedometers have Km/h AND Mph.  Everything we buy has to have the price re-adjusted because mostly everything on the net is in USD, and our currency is also called a Dollar.  And every label has English AND French on it.  And in French they use , instead of . for decimals.

Being an American is just as confusing. So....I get my milk by the pint/quart/gallon, but my soda by the liter?

Jimmy Carter promised me we would all be using the metric system by the end of last century.  :dontknow:

Metric. Imperial. Any reason we can't use and understand both? Growing up, the metric system was only used in a scientific context. It was simple: Science=Metric, Normal life=Imperial. As I got older, I learned and understood and use both. Then some self appointed genius declared everything in the US would switch to the metric system, and you can see how well that worked out! Damned number Nazis!

Come on people, join me in supporting "System Diversity"! Can't we all just get along?  :icon_thumright:

Oh, and just as an aside: I, personally, can feel minute differences in neck geometry. I've played vintage 1.65" necks, and always found them very comfortable. To me, the difference between a 1-5/8" and a 1-11/16" nut, although only .0625" apart, can feel huge, especially on a thicker profile neck. I'll almost certainly be trying the Warmoth variety in the future.

BigSteve22 said:
Metric. Imperial. Any reason we can't use and understand both? Growing up, the metric system was only used in a scientific context. It was simple: Science=Metric, Normal life=Imperial. As I got older, I learned and understood and use both. Then some self appointed genius declared everything in the US would switch to the metric system, and you can see how well that worked out! Damned number Nazis!

Come on people, join me in supporting "System Diversity"! Can't we all just get along?  :icon_thumright:

Oh, and just as an aside: I, personally, can feel minute differences in neck geometry. I've played vintage 1.65" necks, and always found them very comfortable. To me, the difference between a 1-5/8" and a 1-11/16" nut, although only .0625" apart, can feel huge, especially on a thicker profile neck. I'll almost certainly be trying the Warmoth variety in the future.
:laughing11:

Being a machinist and tool and die maker for the majority of my life, I've had to learn both. In the mold making biz we had to deal with a lot with mold parts made in Canada, so that kinda forces your hand at converting metric into imperial...

The one that bugs me the most is MPG vs L/100Km ..  It's not just different units, but also inverted comparisons.  Distance per Volume vs Volume per distance.

I like that Warmoth is looking at details such as this.  I don't know if I'm going to build another Warmoth anytime soon, but my S/O is currently printing a guitar body with her 3D printer out of carbon fiber, and she wants a high quality neck for it.  More options are better.

I plan to develop a stupid guitar just to say I did it, and Nut width will be a huge determining factor in whether or not it works.

Good news that there is another option available.

I took a look and the necks in the showcase are all 9.5" radius which makes some sense given the two dimensions are often used together.

And I have of course to mention that the imperial measurement system used in the USA, was and is derived from the British Imperial System.

BigSteve22 said:

it gets even more fun with PCB design.  Generally though-hole components are on a 1/1000 of an inch grid, which we call 'thou'.  An example is all those DIP-8 op-amps that I'm so fond of.  But, if you're a fan of Neutrik (which I am) you'll find that all those parts are in metric.  Depending on where your PCB shop is located, the design rules will be in mm or 'thou', and you'll need to convert one way or another.  Makes using multiple PCB shops, er, interesting.  If you get your fancy chassis, (sorry - enclosure) from HiFi 2000, you'll have to do your mechanical design in mm.  A US house (like Front Panel Design) will be in inches.  With a mix of switchcraft and Neutrik connectors on your board, you'll find that you need to have equal stock of 4-40 and M3 screws.  Oh and copper thickness is measured in oz.  And the heat rise specs for heatsinks are measured in DegC / Watts.  You get pretty good at going back and forth.

Canada has been metric for years, but all of our building codes and dimensional lumber are in imperial (2x4s, 16" stud centers, etc).  I've seen building plans for hi-rise apartments with imperial dimensions converted to metric!  12mm drywall anyone?  :)  The guys working on the site can convert in their heads like it was nothing.

But the sky is still blue and red wine still tastes good.  but it comes in 750ml bottles  :)

(update - corrected some grammar in the above.)

But beer is in 12oz cans. (I'm guessing 355 ml is a good clue that it's a conversion from oz and not because it was designed to be exactly 354.8812ml)

I'm surprised nobody brought up the Avoirdupois, Troy and Apothecaries feature. How wonderful it must be to have an ounce that can represent three different weights compared to that boring gram. 

Personally, I love Canada. Beautiful cities, Tim Horton Coffee, and once I cross the border, instead of being limited to 55, I can do 90!!! (Then I can claim ignorance when I get pulled over.....)  :icon_jokercolor:

My Mustang's engine and drivetrain is standard and the body and interior is metric.  Some might say that having an intimate knowledge of both systems makes those of in the US...superior?  :icon_biggrin:

My tool box has imperial, metric and Whitworth wrenches in it. Can't get rid of the Whitworth ones, either. You never know when you'll land an old MG or Triumph to work on.

LoxFL said:
Once you go 1 3/4 you never go back...............if you have bigger fingers

I was thinking my next build might be 1 3/4, but I just noticed when I go to the custom neck build page on Warmoth, no 1 3/4 option comes up? Or only with modern construction, but I can't get it with Gibson scale  :(

Aaron, I really value your opinion. Im a smaller/thinner person with small/medium thin fingered sized hands. I'm planning on a 24.0" mustang neck with a 59" back profile. Before I was set on 1 5/8 nut width, but now I don't know if I should go with 1 5/8 or 1.650.

Which one do you prefer?

LoxFL said:
Once you go 1 3/4 you never go back...............if you have bigger fingers
m
Haha I went back!  It was amazing for solos but I didn’t enjoy chording.

Just to clarify for everyone, millimeters are much easier to use than inches for these differences. And I'm from the US!

1 5/8 inches = 1.625 inches = exactly 41.275 millimeters/ or approx ~41mm

1.650 inches = exactly 41.91 millimeters/ or approx ~42mm

1 11/16 inches = 1.6875 inches = exactly 42.862 millimeters/ or approx ~43mm
____
____
Difference from 1 5/8 -> 1.650 is + 0.635 mm/ or approx ~half a milimeter

Difference from 1.650 -> 1 11/16 is + 0.952mm/ or approx ~a milimeter
____
____
Summary, difference between 1 5/8" and 1.650" is about half the difference between 1.650" and 1 11/16".

Thanks for the lesson on fractions, I imagine it could come in handy for anyone who come through public school post 96 or so. (And the coded message on the Fender headstock is called "cursive" if you haven't figured it out yet.

Ninja00151 said:
Just to clarify for everyone, millimeters are much easier to use than inches for these differences. And I'm from the US!

Somebody give this man a medal, please! ;)

Back