Maton Custom Order Country Jumbo Acousric Guitar.

That's definitely going to sound huge.   :hello2:

She's got the potential to be a real stunner, I'm looking forward to completed pics!

Blue313 said:
That's definitely going to sound huge.   :hello2:

She's got the potential to be a real stunner, I'm looking forward to completed pics!

So am I Blue, I've been running around like a kid the day before Christmas Day, knowing what present he will get!!!!

BTW, the finish will be the killer punch. Dark sunburst (high gloss) on that fiddleback Blackwood and mahogany neck will make this guitar's figured wood really grab you. Suspect that completion of the finish is about 4 weeks away, but they could take 8 and I wouldn't care... I KNOW this will be a killer guitar, both looks and sound....

I see they've been taking lessons from Warmoth...  on using that ol' gnarly twisty grain wood... for shame!  At those prices, at least they could give you some nice clear straight grain planks!

=CB= said:
I see they've been taking lessons from Warmoth...  on using that ol' gnarly twisty grain wood... for shame!  At those prices, at least they could give you some nice clear straight grain planks!

LOL! I think if I had asked Andy to make the guitar out of pineboard  (Ikea-caster?) he would have hung up on me  :laughing7:...  BTW, the price is remarkably mild for a Custom Guitar built from scratch...

Hey, Pete, it looks amazing. And I'm sure when it's done, it'll look even better. I'm glad it's everything you wanted it to be.  :icon_thumright:

Latest on this, is I'm desperately trying to get some bits of songs up to scratch so when I pick this up ina month or so, I won't make a goose outta myself.

I got the opening chords to "My Sweet Lord" up first off, it's a song I've always loved and should be a great tryout for the new guitar.

I also think the slow middle section for "Question" by The Moody Blues is manageable. Have also thought about a Dylan song or two, just bits of them, to see how the guitar performs. Thinking a bit of "Blowing in the Wind" & "A Hard Rains A Gonna Fall"?

By design the guitar should lend itself to a huge strumming sound, and that's about where my acoustic playing is at too. If anyone has suggestions that are simple enough for someone with old rusty fingers I'd appreciate the input. :eek:ccasion14:

That is one beautiful guitar, and a wonderful tribute to your Mom.  I love the rosette & the fingerboard.  That back is going to pop nice when it's finished.  Please post some clips when you get some time with it, I'd love to hear it!

22frets said:
That is one beautiful guitar, and a wonderful tribute to your Mom.  I love the rosette & the fingerboard.  That back is going to pop nice when it's finished.  Please post some clips when you get some time with it, I'd love to hear it!
Thanx for the compliment.
Ha ha, that is the problem..... EVERYONE I mention this guitar to, wants to hear it!

It's about a month or so away from completion, I'm not hassling Maton for a completion date, as I feel that I should just let the guitar find it's own way to completion - I have faith in what Maton are doing, particularly after talking to Andy, hearing how keen he was for the guitar.  I do believe I have the best in my country (Australia) doing the work.

But the guitar rouses interest in folks (naturally of course), people wanna see it and of course hear it, and it's been ages since I played for other people. I am quite happy to strum a few chords and after just a quick play I'll know where the instrument strengths are and how it feels to me, but others want a grand concert! One guy at work, who plays piano, has been cheekily asking if I'll play "Initiation" by Tommy Emmanuel, and I've told him flat that Tommy's playing and mine are a million miles away from each other so to forget that. I reminded a few people that there was a reason WHY I am a bus driver and not a professional guitar player, he he, and not to expect much. One song I won't even go near, though, is "Stairway....", it's one song I have always refused to play, right from the days it was on the charts (yes, I am that old!).

OzziePete said:
22frets said:
Thanx for the compliment.
Ha ha, that is the problem..... EVERYONE I mention this guitar to, wants to hear it!

It's about a month or so away from completion, I'm not hassling Maton for a completion date, as I feel that I should just let the guitar find it's own way to completion - I have faith in what Maton are doing, particularly after talking to Andy, hearing how keen he was for the guitar.  I do believe I have the best in my country (Australia) doing the work.

But the guitar rouses interest in folks (naturally of course), people wanna see it and of course hear it, and it's been ages since I played for other people. I am quite happy to strum a few chords and after just a quick play I'll know where the instrument strengths are and how it feels to me, but others want a grand concert! One guy at work, who plays piano, has been cheekily asking if I'll play "Initiation" by Tommy Emmanuel, and I've told him flat that Tommy's playing and mine are a million miles away from each other so to forget that. I reminded a few people that there was a reason WHY I am a bus driver and not a professional guitar player, he he, and not to expect much. One song I won't even go near, though, is "Stairway....", it's one song I have always refused to play, right from the days it was on the charts (yes, I am that old!).

HA!  Well, quality takes time.  True both for your guitar AND (tell your co-worker) for Tommy's music!  (for some like me it takes longer than others... :laughing3: )  My Zep goto tunes on acoustic are Over the Hills and Far Away & Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You...pretty but both to dang high for me to sing.

You know when I was growing up Stairway was THE song all the kids were trying to muddle thru in the guitar shop (famously made fun of in Wayne's World).  Well I was in there a few weeks ago on a Saturday and heard something like 3 different people trying to play Sweet Child of Mine by GnR.  I look at the sales guy (my age) and without a word he says "Yep, Sweet Child of Mine is the new Stairway to Heaven man."  Wow.

i love tommy emmanuel but im not gonna disgrace his songs by trying to play one, it is rediculous how good he is. with 30 years of practice i couldn't do what he does with a guitar.

Dan025 said:
i love tommy emmanuel but im not gonna disgrace his songs by trying to play one, it is rediculous how good he is. with 30 years of practice i couldn't do what he does with a guitar.

I've met Tommy briefly on two occassions when working at Sydney Airport, and he was one of the nicest guys around..........I am very chuffed that the guy who does build his personal Matons is building mine. Kinda feel I'm not worthy. No way can I even get close to what Tommy does with a guitar, the guy is a magician with one in his hands.

NonsenseTele said:
That's awesome Pete!!
That five star thing is the logo of a football team here in Brazil: Cruzeiro...

Thanx Fernando, was wondering when you'd get around to seeing it - I know you like naked wood!

That constellation of stars is known in Australia as The Southern Cross.

It's an integral part of our national flag and also that of New Zealand's (our not so distant, sheep loving cousins from 'across the ditch'  :laughing7:).

The Southern Cross has featured in a lot of Australiana, we have a close bond to that symbol, but be buggered if most of us Aussies would know where to find it in the night sky! :dontknow:  :doh:

It's called the same here: Cruzeiro do Sul...

It can be spoted on sky here, but I can't remember where... Have been a long time since I've watched the sky at night

OzziePete said:
NonsenseTele said:
That's awesome Pete!!
That five star thing is the logo of a football team here in Brazil: Cruzeiro...
Thanx Fernando, was wondering when you'd get around to seeing it - I know you like naked wood!

That constellation of stars is known in Australia as The Southern Cross.

It's an integral part of our national flag and also that of New Zealand's (our not so distant, sheep loving cousins from 'across the ditch'  :laughing7:).

The Southern Cross has featured in a lot of Australiana, we have a close bond to that symbol, but be buggered if most of us Aussies would know where to find it in the night sky! :dontknow:  :doh:
I should point out that most Aussies seem more interested in NZ sheep than Kiwis do  :laughing11:

Hey, sorry to hear about your mom. One thing in your story kind of stuck out to me, her dislike of Asians. It's funny to me because I'm an American married to a Japanese and living in Japan. When I first started dating my wife my mother was up in arms. She too had a sour dislike for Japanese people because she also had the image of WWII. Considering we obliterated 2 of their cities with the worst weapon ever created I never fully understood that from her, but, she gave me a lot of crap at the beginning about how she didn't want any "blonde haired, slanty eyed grand kids running around." Unfortunately my father died not long after we started dating. My parents were divorced and we were living in Kentucky and my mom was remarried and living in Florida, about 18 hours or so by car. Anyway, mom came up for dad's funeral and got her first exposure to my "Jap girlfriend" She fell in love with her. Said she was the most well mannered person she had ever met. When we finally decided to get married we decided to do it here in Japan so her parents could be there. My mom and stepdad came over for the wedding and my mom fell in love with Japan and the Japanese people. Xenophobia can be horrible. I'm really sorry your mom didn't have the chance to get out of Sydney and see some of Asia and see that there are a lot of good people here.

As for your guitar, duuuuuude!!! If I may use my best Aussie accent.........Noooooiiiiicccceee!!! That thing looks like it could play itself. I really can't wait to see the finished pics.
MULLY
and, as usual, finished pics or it doesn't exist  :icon_tongue:

Back