matching finish

I don't think there's anything you can do (short of putting a Padouk top on) to make those look like Padouk. If I were absolutely pressed, I might say that half of Warmoth's transparent sunset orange and half transparent red might do something close to fresh cut Padouk, barring the possibility that they end up looking like a gross brown when mixed. An aged unfinished Padouk would be much darker. Alder would be the better wood to try and fake it with, but again I will state that I don't think you can do it reasonably well.

Why do you want to match a Padouk color? If you plan on using a Padouk neck and want the body to match, I would bring 2 points to your attention:

1. You don't know how much orange vs. red will be in your neck until you get it.
2. Trying to match will most likely end in the worst result possible. I would suggest that you should rather try to complement the colors rather than match.

Although I agree with callaway that Padouk cannot be duplicated with Ash or Alder, it is however possible to find a common shade by staining the wood.  Since Ash and Alder are lighter than Padouk in color, try mixing up staining pigments : http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/ColorTone_Concentrated_Liquid_Stain.html  and use a piece of scrap wood to compare the colors.  When you think you have got a close match, do a final test inside the pickup cavity or tremolo rout and compare the shades.  Remember also a clear finish will brighten up the stained wood slightly so make quite sure before you apply the first coat.

Padouk wood is full of open grain patterns. If you dyed Alder or Ash, you would not have the grain pattern that completes the look...

3377570813_8679e60461.jpg

Back