Mary Kay(e) White Looks Best on ....

selowitch

You most often see MKW on Ash, but does anybody think it would look good on Zebrawood or on Black Korina?

Also, I'm pretty sure that Fender called that transparent white color "Mary Kaye White" after the famed lounge performer. I don't think it should be confused with "Mary Kay," the cosmetics maker. It may be, however, that Warmoth drops the final "e" in "Kaye" for copyright reasons. Anyone know this for sure without guessing (like I'm doing)?

there is one on this forum with Zebra wood.. I think it would look great on the right piece of Korina!

Ah, yes! This strat looks very nice. Black pickguard is an interesting choice. Brings out the veins in the wood. Koo-wuhl.
In this case, the zebrawood is a top over a chambered alder body. I guess the owner figured a solid zebrawood body would be too heavy?

Mary Kaye looks best with a solid color sprayed over it

only way to make it look worse is to add gold hardware and have it on a tele.

AutoBat said:
Mary Kaye looks best with a solid color sprayed over it

only way to make it look worse is to add gold hardware and have it on a tele.
Okay. I take it you don't like MKW? That's cool. Everybody has their preferences. My current favorites happen to be either Ocean Turquoise Transparent or Seafoam Green.

This one looks nice to me. Ray S. posted this in the Warmoth Gallery.
ray_scannapieco_full.jpg

I've seen 2 styles of Mary Kaye finishes.  The ones like the above bass where all of the finish is consistent and just as transparent everywhere.  Then there's the ones that the transparent moves to opaque white around the edges.  Don't know which I like more, or which is most accurate to the original, but somehting to think about when ordering.

And yes, the Mary Kaye and Mary Kay are confsuing.  Someone unfamiliar with the Mary Kaye White, when you mention Mary Kaye, they think Mary Kay, which is associated with Pink Cadillacs.

Yeah, I think the confusion gets worse because MKW tenss to acquire a slightly pinkish overtone when photograohed. I'm not sure if that's really evident in real life and in person, though. I think it's a potentially cool color.

Could one inject a dye into the wood to make the wood grain stand out a little more?

I agree with Super Turbo--I've also seen both done. The latter almost reminds me of an antigua finish to a degree, especially with the transition. Both have their places. Do you happen to know what body style you wanna go with yet?  Everyone associates the Mary Kaye finish on a Strat, but I've always thought it would make a Jazzmaster look top lounge as well.

selowitch said:
Ah, yes! This strat looks very nice. Black pickguard is an interesting choice. Brings out the veins in the wood. Koo-wuhl.
In this case, the zebrawood is a top over a chambered alder body. I guess the owner figured a solid zebrawood body would be too heavy?

As the owner of the aforementioned strat (http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=13389.0) I can tell you I chose alder because I wanted the "standard" body sound and I got it chambered because I wanted to try out a chambered body.  I can say that it is very  obvious when playing unplugged.

smjenkins said:
selowitch said:

As the owner of the aforementioned strat (http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=13389.0) I can tell you I chose alder because I wanted the "standard" body sound and I got it chambered because I wanted to try out a chambered body.  I can say that it is very  obvious when playing unplugged.
I stand corrected. Are you pleased with the sound? It certainly looks AMAZING! I'm also wondering how a chambered body would sound on a bass, esp. with an exotic top....

selowitch said:
I stand corrected. Are you pleased with the sound? It certainly looks AMAZING! I'm also wondering how a chambered body would sound on a bass, esp. with an exotic top....

From what I've read, and can tell by hearing, the laminate top doesn't impact the sound.  so it sounds like alder. 

Back