Made a mistake mounting my pickups

exaN

When first installing the pickups in my last build (wood mounted), the mounting hole on the pickup was too small for the mounting screws I had. I thought no big deal I'll just enlarge the hole and call it a day... Except I decided recently I wanted pickup rings. When installing them, I discovered the ring hole is smaller than the now enlarged pickup hole so I can't screw them together :doh:. Enlarging the ring hole wouldn't do much good since the screw I used is much too short to work with a pickup ring. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Pics would help.  Have you thought about different screws, there must be longer screws of the same diameter you can  use.  Maybe your guitar tech has some?

Rick said:
Pics would help.  Have you thought about different screws, there must be longer screws of the same diameter you can  use.  Maybe your guitar tech has some?
Screws are available everywhere, in all sorts of sizes, head shapes, and colors. I'm sure there's something available to make your problem a thing of the past, and at a very reasonable price at that. Pics?........

Pabloman's recommendation is good. JB Weld is great stuff. I've used it on many things that needed filling and re-doing. As an adhesive, it's also good. I generally prefer JB Quick, which is the 5-minute version. It isn't quite as strong structurally but for most applications, it's just as good. To fill holes, that's the one I'd use.

re-reading the original post, some options and thoughts:

1 - drill out the rings / longer screws
2 - why not just use the other screws with the larger pickup holes (might be missing something here).  Judicious application of washers/nuts might be in order.
3 - are these strat pickups (i.e. with threaded holes)?  If so just use a nut on the bottom.
4 - are these humbucking pickups with some other issue?  Would help to know so we can offer some ideas.

Thanks for all the great recommendations! I was really hoping to be able to fix my mistake rather than just finding a bigger screw, using JB Weld seems like just what I need. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks as always guys!

Do you want rings for aesthetic or functional purposes? Because if you just want the look you can mount the rings on the body without the pickups in them.

Back